using 0w30 C2 Oil instead 0w20 C5 oil in volvo XC90 SPA

Could anyone help me with thios dilema? I want to use castrol magnatec C2 0w30 oil instead 0w20 C5 what
volvo recomend ( RBSO-2AE). Would that be harmful for my car or not?
Thnx

As a general rule, not at all. Typically, a move from ultra low viscosity has wear related benefits. Especially in warm climates and under hard use. The thick v. thin debate rages on. Folks from each side will cite valid examples of success.

However, it's worth noting that engine manufacturers have to markedly improve internal component quality and design to achieve long life with ultra thin oils. Such as 0W-8/16. Additionally, there are now an adequate number of studies showing actual wear rates vs. viscosity.

I'd say go what is recommended on the owner's manual. 0W/20 is just right for your Volvo. 0W/20 for Germany's cold climate.

Could anyone help me with thios dilema? I want to use castrol magnatec C2 0w30 oil instead 0w20 C5 what
volvo recomend ( RBSO-2AE). Would that be harmful for my car or not?
Thnx
As Cujet said, generally no!
The move to ..W20 was dictated by the need to save on fuel no matter the minimality of it.
The owner's manual (used to be written by engineers) is a compromise between the engineers & the marketing department.
In this case the engineers worked out a compromise between the engine needs and government mandates.
I would not worry at all and go ahead.

The car won't even notice the difference. It won't harm anything. However, it won't help anything either. The difference between the two lubricants in terms of viscosity is nearly insignificant. Now, if you went for an ACEA C3 0W-30 or 5W-30 then you'd actually get a thicker oil with a HTHS of at least 3.5.

The car won't even notice the difference. It won't harm anything. However, it won't help anything either. The difference between the two lubricants in terms of viscosity is nearly insignificant. Now, if you went for an ACEA C3 0W-30 or 5W-30 then you'd actually get a thicker oil with a HTHS of at least 3.5.
I would try C3 but thats totaly different oil. Do you know anyone who tried to swap oils?

I would try C3 but thats totaly different oil. Do you know anyone who tried to swap oils?
HTHS 3,5 vs 2,6
Nothing bad will happen. There is a relationship between temperature and viscosity, and due this relationship engines are not as sensitive to viscosity as you think they are.

I rarely run the recommended viscosity and usually look what others run around the world in the same engine and account for the climate I live in.

If you want your engine to experience a small improvement in wear protection, then you can safely step up to an ACEA C3 lubricant.

The thick v. thin debate rages on. Folks from each side will cite valid examples of success.
The additive package/underlying technolgy stack is rarely discussed, if at all.

Go for it. I use it in my '22 Forester.

The FA series subaru engines of which there is a turbo version and NA version are identical except the NA has a slightly higher compression ratio. The Turbo requires 30 wt oil and the NA specifies 20 wt oil. It ain't rocket science. Best to use the heavier oil.

There are C3 oils that are also C2!

Back