USGS: 16 Trillion cu-ft of Natural Gas in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fascinating thread. Thank you everyone for your details and expertise.

Politicians spend their time about"leaving a legacy" issues. Yet what allows modern civilization to occur is electricity, transportation, water, sewage treatment, and the rule of law. I'm comforted to know we have intelligent folks managing the details as demonstrated by this thread. Let's hope the politicians can stay out of the way for as long as possible.

BTW, I found this on the Manitoba Hydro website:

https://www.hydro.mb.ca/corporate/electricity_exports/saskpower.shtml

Hydro will sell 100 MW of power to Saskatchewan in a 20 year contract starting in 2020, and build a new 230 KV transmission line. At the exorbitant cost of the latest hydro dam I'm sure Manitoban's are still losing money on this sale, but at least it's locked in cash flow. Electricity rates will double over the next 20 years due to renewing infrastructure and the huge costs of the last few dams that the province really didn't need. But the previous governments were hoping an American carbon tax/cap-and-trade for C02 would generate a great demand for Manitoba's clean electricity. Who would have predicted fracking? If I knew then what I know now, I would not have spent the money on geothermal heat for our house.

I wouldn't bet the farm against carbon tax & trade with American power sales.
Both Alberta and Saskatchewan are fighting back. See Calgary Nose-Hill MP Michelle Rempel's rant in Parliament, twice mentioning Brexit.

Rumor has it that Trump will eliminate CAFE as it favors small imports and hurts domestic car and truck manufactures.

So much for 0W16.

Yes, many new reserves from drilling & completion technology- Whilst horizontal drilling started to become more common in the 80's it was expensive, not accurate at low cost, and real time data was very limited. Fracking was mostly single stage to pump and more expensive trips (pulling & running pipe). They now single trip multi pumping stages.
The modeled well path is enhanced by 3D seismic pre drill.
Downhole tools ? Whole new world - it is like the bit has eyes to stay in the reservoir - and steering is quick & precision on demand.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
...Rumor has it that Trump will eliminate CAFE as it favors small imports and hurts domestic car and truck manufactures...

CAFE favors domestic truck manufacturers and hurts import small car manufacturers. Domestic lobbyists are very effective.

We have natural gas - you have that and natural beauty when you sit on the deck with a glass.
(The subject area not so much, but better that way for O&G and wind and solar) ...

US soon to be exporting gas to the MidEast....

U.S. LNG Is Changing The Global Gas Game

The U.S. is benefiting from the low prices of shale gas, liquefying it and shipping it to South America and Europe—but not Asia, which was supposed to be the main market for American gas. Cheniere Energy is shipping LNG to Kuwait, the UAE, and Jordan.

One LNG expert, Susan Sakmar, wrote about this back in September, noting that although the Middle East sits on most of the world’s natural gas reserves, they are not distributed evenly among the countries there, so they can’t benefit equally from these riches.

Iraq, which flares some 700 million cubic feet of associated gas, is not talking to Kuwait, Gulf war and all. Neither Kuwait, nor the UAE like Iran very much – they are in the Saudi orbit. Their own reserves are hard to reach and expensive to develop, not least because of a long policy of subsidizing low energy prices, which makes investment in new production particularly unappealing.

Is it possible, then, for the U.S. to turn into a major supplier of natural gas to the Middle East in an ironic turn of events? It’s not impossible, that’s for sure. The amounts of LNG shipped so far to Middle Eastern destinations are not grandiose, but the shipments may indicate a turning of the tide.

Originally Posted By: vitez
Or more imports of hydro-generated electricity from Manitoba. Manitoba Hydro currently generates about 1/3 more electricity than is needed within the province itself.

BTW, using NG to produce electricity can be more wasteful than using it directly. The best NG furnaces and boilers have a seasonal efficiency of ~ 98%. NG fueled generating stations are about 40-43% efficient.

England started the Industrial Revolution partially due to it being blessed with large amounts of coal. Coal, shale oil, shale gas, Alberta oil sands: Canada and the US are also blessed. Now if only our respective government leaders can get along.......
smile.gif

This is because half of Manitoba's population moves here for the winter starting in September and does not leave until April. Can't you subsidize them to stay there? All they do is cause problems because it is not "quite" living like their home in Manitoba. I do not know what they expect because here unlike in Manitoba your nearest neighbor is not 40 acres away. If they think living in a residential neighborhood in Maricopa is loud they should try Los Angeles or live on a United States Ship for nine years. Living on a ship as caused my brother in law such issues he has to have a fan blowing in his room every night to go to sleep.

Big cities have a "back-ground" noise that country people hear. I notice it more when I get back home.
I think "wow, is it ever quiet here".
Garak, good to see that Regina by-pass finally going in. Kinda cold digging at -25C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back