Used WIX, STP extended life, Purolator Boss cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
5k on the STP extended life, 8k on the Wix, 10K on the Boss. Have to say I'm kinda surprised with the quality of the Chinese made STP. Pleat spacing is tighter than both the others (Purolator is full synthetic though), media ends are metal crimped together, can was strong and uses coil spring. Only thing that felt cheapo was the drain back valve despite being silicon. Purolator Boss looked great too. Not a fan of the bent metal spring design. Wix was okay too but pleating was wider spaced, didn't stay as uniform, no metal crimp on media ends (not that it seemed to matter. cant even find where media ends mated) and can felt flimsiest of the 3.However bypass and drain back valves both of superior quality compared to the other two (and location for bypass valve. On the intake side). This is a common Ford/Jeep application (Motorcraft FL1A cross reference): Wix 51515, Purolator Boss PBL30001, STP S8AXL. And yes I realize they are different class of filters they just happen to be the last 3 filters I used. Currently have a Mobil 1 filter that I'm going to leave on for 10k miles.

STP Wix PurBoss1.jpg

Purolator.jpg

STP.jpg

Wix.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

What kind of car were these on, and what oil did you use? What did you replace them with? Did the Boss's ADBV have any slits in it?

Which filter was first, second, third? As in, which one was in the car first?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

What kind of car were these on,

1999 Ford explorer 4.0L OHV from 217K thru 240K (8k on the Wix, then 5K on the STP, then 10K on the Purolator)

and what oil did you use?

Wix-Mobil Super 5w30, STP- STP (Amalie) 5w30 synthetic, Boss- Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w-30

What did you replace them with? Did the Boss's ADBV have any slits in it?

Mobil 1 on their now, Another Purolator Boss going on since I have one laying around. Anti drainback did not have any slits (is that a known issue?)

Which filter was first, second, third? As in, which one was in the car first?

Wix used first, STP second and Purolator used last. As far as the picture the labeled cans are directly behind the media/base/valve that came out of it except the STP which I took the sticker off when I installed it for some reason.

I am always amazed how cheap Chinese filters can have such straight and evenly spaced pleats....while many more expensive domestic filters are often wavy and look sloppily made….

Originally Posted by pbm
I am always amazed how cheap Chinese filters can have such straight and evenly spaced pleats....while many more expensive domestic filters are often wavy and look sloppily made….

That's because of all the smog in China. Pleats stay straight, or they choke!
I know! I'm working on my jokes this morning.

All three filters mentioned in the thread title are very good. But I'm in a habit of buying new filters. So I will pass on any used Wix purchases.
The last Wix filter I bought used leaked thru the paper bag and put a stain on my car seat.

I know again about my jokes this morning. I'll try harder tomorrow morning.

Aesthetics aside, looks like they all got the job done for the stated ocis. While perfectly straight uniform pleating nice to look at, functionally no harm here. Even the Wix at a substantial 8k miles.

And while one may not be enamored the flat spring bypass design, it's been shown here to function as designed.

Thanks for c&p.

Noticed where you mentioned using Amalie oil synthetic
Was that a one time OC or a brand you use a lot ?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by pbm

The last Wix filter I bought used leaked thru the paper bag and put a stain on my car seat.

I once saw a used oil filter for sale on ebay... really really

Originally Posted by pbm

Unless a a major set up ISO9001:2000 in the China factory and the filter media is made in China, I have no faith the incoming filter material is tested to efficiency and porosity and/or whatever required battery of applicable ASTM and SAE test proceedure.

Just like my old Yaris... Ran great on OE factory toyota Denso filter - wont run at all on service part Thailand Denso.

Originally Posted by pbm

IMO It is not all robot machines with a few QC line workers over there.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Noticed where you mentioned using Amalie oil synthetic
Was that a one time OC or a brand you use a lot ?

Used one time however I did post a VOA of it out of curiosity. This was a Dexos gen1. Pretty sure its been updated to Dexos gen2 since then,

STP VOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
What's the advantages of the tighter pleating? Does anybody know the efficiency on the STP filter?

99% Efficiency @ > 20 microns * ( as per ISO-4548-12) at least for my application.

As for tighter pleating more surface area (more media crammed into the same space) to hold more dirt BUT also at the expense of flow. This is why Wix XP efficiency is rated so low. Their philosophy is a high efficiency media compromises flow at extended intervals when the media is filled with dirt.

Originally Posted by stanlee
As for tighter pleating more surface area (more media crammed into the same space) to hold more dirt BUT also at the expense of flow.

Not necessarily true. The PureOne was always thought to be "too restrictive" because it had tight pleats. But an actual "Flow vs Delta-P" test proves otherwise. Pleats that look "tight" don't really impend flow like your eyes would think it would.

This is why Wix XP efficiency is rated so low. Their philosophy is a high efficiency media compromises flow at extended intervals when the media is filled with dirt.

There are many high efficiency synthetic media oil filters that can hold just as much or more compared to the WIX XP. Their "philosophy" is to make excuses for their lack of filtering performance.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
As for tighter pleating more surface area (more media crammed into the same space) to hold more dirt BUT also at the expense of flow.

Not necessarily true. The PureOne was always thought to be "too restrictive" because it had tight pleats. But an actual "Flow vs Delta-P" test proves otherwise. Pleats that look "tight" don't really impend flow like your eyes would think it would.

This is why Wix XP efficiency is rated so low. Their philosophy is a high efficiency media compromises flow at extended intervals when the media is filled with dirt.

There are many high efficiency synthetic media oil filters that can hold just as much or more compared to the WIX XP. Their "philosophy" is to make excuses for their lack of filtering performance.
grin2.gif

Just going by what their spokesperson said lol

Then you have Ecores with high pleat count - but shallow pleats ( due to the large core dia.) and a resultant low surface area,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back