Used Truck Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am having an itch to get something different(looking all over the place).

Used truck prices are quite crazy, but was wondering if I have to look for anything 2004-2010 range, what would it be?

It can be a SUV(larger than CRV/Rav4) or preferably a pick up truck.

No preference for any particular brand, reliability with less headache is a key. I was casually looking for Tundra and was surprised it's slightly cheaper than Tacoma.

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

In my case, no towing/hauling and will be just grocery and occasional furniture or motorcycle hauling along with some road trips.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
In my case, no towing/hauling and will be just grocery and occasional furniture or motorcycle hauling along with some road trips.

In that case, the best truck is a station wagon.

If you really want something with a bed, the Honda Ridgeline blows everything else out of the water in terms of driving dynamics and is surprisingly useful thanks to a lot of clever bits of design.

Durango with the 5.7 HEMI. Preferably post face lift, make sure the windshield cowel recall has been done. They seem to be the most reliable of the 3 generations (1st gen 1998-2003, 2nd gen 2004-2009, 3rd gen 2011-present).

2004'ish Silverado, as it's my favorite body style and the 5.3 V8 seems to be indestructible.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Durango with the 5.7 HEMI. Preferably post face lift, make sure the windshield cowel recall has been done. They seem to be the most reliable of the 3 generations (1st gen 1998-2003, 2nd gen 2004-2009, 3rd gen 2011-present).

2004'ish Silverado, as it's my favorite body style and the 5.3 V8 seems to be indestructible.

Thank you, is 5.7L SLT 2nd Gen Durango HEMI, I think so?

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Thank you, is 5.7L SLT 2nd Gen Durango HEMI, I think so?

I'm not sure what you're asking? The facelift happened for the 2007 model year. In 2006, the HEMI got MDS.

You could also look at the Chrysler Aspen. It's a dressed up Durango, and surprisingly very nice imo. My Aunt and Uncle have one with well over 130k now and it's never given them issues. They love it.

Tundras are cheaper than Tacomas because frankly, they're guzzlers. Reliable, yes, but thirsty.

If you're not really towing, or hauling, then a pickup, while fun, is going to be more expensive to run than say, a wagon or CUV.

I'm in a rental this weekend. 2019 Ram with Hemi. Very nice truck. The Hemi is an excellent engine and the 8 speed handles it perfectly. Nice ride. An older model of this truck would still get you that engine/transmission combo, and it's not as thirsty as the Tundra.

The Tundra and Tacoma have good reputations for reliability. But as vehicles go, full size pickups tend to be pretty reliable.

I happen to love my Tundra. Very glad I bought it. If you are still looking at Tundras, go for the 2007 and up. That was a year with chassis and engine changes. Same chassis and engine as currently offered. Check carefully for frame rust.

Used truck prices are quite crazy, but was wondering if I have to look for anything 2004-2010 range, what would it be?

No preference for any particular brand, reliability with less headache is a key. I was casually looking for Tundra and was surprised it's slightly cheaper than Tacoma.

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I have found when I get an itch (or am driven) to buy something I have often bought something I did not need.

Originally Posted by Donald

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I have found when I get an itch (or am driven) to buy something I have often bought something I did not need.

Honestly, that's a very well said statement and hence I am doing my due diligence in terms of researching before I throw money on something troubling.

Our '01 Tundra V8 has almost 200K miles and is perfect.
I never check fluids...
Everyone wants it; I get many unsolicited offers.
17 mpg, on a good day.

I'm sure other brands are good as well and are probably cheaper to buy as the Tundras hold their value.

Just look at vehicles going down the road. Bet you will se a ton of F-150s from Ford. I bought one cheap and fixed it up. Great truck. Way cheaper than the Tundra and still reliable. Parts are cheap compared to a lot of other vehicles. If you do get a F-150 go with the 4.6 engine. Less problems than the larger 5.2 engine.

If I had my druthers, my around town, hauler would be a running 40s-70s US or Canadian 1/2 ton pickup . Straight six, 3 on tree. Any model or yr in that range. The more patina the better
grin2.gif

Japanese models too. Though the ride may be too harsh by modern standards.

Originally Posted by MRtv
Just look at vehicles going down the road. Bet you will se a ton of F-150s from Ford. I bought one cheap and fixed it up. Great truck. Way cheaper than the Tundra and still reliable. Parts are cheap compared to a lot of other vehicles. If you do get a F-150 go with the 4.6 engine. Less problems than the larger 5.2 engine.

I'm sorry, Ford but your 4.6/5.4 statement is ridiculous. If we're talking 2-valve 4.6 vs 5.4 really it's the same. If we're talking 2-valve 4.6 vs 3-valvw 5.4, yes, the 4.6 is more reliable.

The best cheap trucks in general would be the GMT800 trucks. You can get a crew cab, LS engine, okay transmission, parts are cheap, good reliability. Stuff will break but easy to fix and cheap. If you can or want to spend more, i suggest jumping from GMT 800 all the way to the K2X or 2014+ body style. The GMT 900 is not nice enough for the still high prices they carry. I also really like the F150 2011+. Gotta shop for a lot of stuff and find the good deal.

If you want to go really really cheap, the Toyota T100 is quite awesome if you can find one with low enough rust.

I still like my Tundra, although I'm starting to think about moving on (full sized trucks have the bed too high IMO). There's a few things to research before going down that route (mostly focusing on gen2 years):
-gen1 is pre-2007 while gen2 is 2007 through 2014 (I think). Gen 3 is called gen2.5 by some as it was nothing more than sheetmetal and interior mods
-4.7's are timing belt motors, and I believe most are interference
-4.6's and 5.7's got six speed autos, and better mpg than 4.7, at least unloaded
-but that six speed is "sealed" and a bit of a pain to change fluids on
-air injection pumps have been pricey and are known to put the truck into limp mode. That said, blockoff plates exist. Look up AIP blockoff etc
-I think 2010 brought out steering racks which are failure prone? moreso if lifted
-water pumps for some reason have been problematic on a number of Toyota models
-rust! Gen2's don't seem to be known for it, but it's a Toyota, you know it will rust
-cruise control sucks and is known to hunt
-Personally I wouldn't touch a 4.6 if it didn't have the tow package. Tow package brought deeper final drive ratio and IMO the truck really needs the gears from the 5.7. [5.7's were all tow package equipped.]
-I've had a rear caliper sieze up and apparently it's a bit of an issue. Maybe only in salt states, maybe it's only at high miles, but there's that.
-speaking of which, another reason I've thought about moving on is parts availability. When that caliper went I needed it replaced that day, and had to drive 50 miles to find a place with one. [which was faulty but that's what you get at Autozone.]
-engine oil change is a pain; have to remove 5 bolts to get the front skidplate off (if you're a skinny guy then no lift is required). The oil drain doesn't require this but to get to the oil filter, the skidplate has to come off. I've heard of guys taking a hole saw to the thing to "fix" the problem. Also, the oil filter housing is plastic, and requires a socket to remove. Some guys buy the housing for the 3.5L Highlander and swap in; I think you have to swap the spring and the perforated tube in the middle (look on the forums, I don't recall the details). I bought one and keep on the shelf, just in case.
-lastly, I don't bother with the oil cannister pre-drain bit; I just remove it all at once. [If this is unfamiliar then hit up youtube.]
-one last thought: if you go Tundra, go 5.7. The 4.6 really doesn't do better on mpg, and it has less power. But if you find a 4.6 it likely will do what you want--just make sure to pay less than for a 5.7. Not sure I'd touch a 4.0L V6 for any reason...

Supton, I appreciate your valuable advice and feedback for Tundra. I am going to bookmark it for a Tundra.

Problem is, just an itch to buy something new(used) and different is NOT so much fun
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back