Used Truck shopping...maybe

Hello All! I'm going to be moving to northern AZ next month(incredibly happy to be getting out of Phoenix) and am thinking I might pick up a cheap used truck. I know the options I want to look at but thought I could get some more insight on the choices. I'll be going for 4x4, with a budget of 15K(preferably less). It will be used as a truck and most weeks driven maybe 50-60 miles.

The options:

- 2001 F250 V10(not looking for V10s but this is a specific example): I know some basics on this one and I'm fully aware of the terrible mpg of these motors! The one i'm looking at has 145K miles and appears well maintained. Only downside is that it has a lift on it which isn't the best with loading the kiddos. Aside from mpg, any major red flags on this platform? link to this one: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/gilbert-2001-ford-250-lariat-4x4/7189749556.html

-2005-2014 Nissan Titan: I've found some good examples for pretty cheap; some pretty high mileage though. From what I've read, the powertrain on these is awesome. Weak links are rear axle and exhaust manifolds, anything else? Plus on these is you can easily find one for under 15K.

-2005-2013 Tundra: These are good trucks I know, I would especially like the 05-06 Crew cab. Main issue I have with this option; even with 200K+ miles, people want alot of money for these! I found an '05 that had 220K and asking was 14K. Seems high to me even for a Yota, especially with torn seats and faded paint. Maybe I'm too far out of the game!

-Wildcard; I would consider a diesel but rare to find one at this price point w/ less than 300K miles :)

Is this truck going to be a daily driver or just used occasionally?

Are you going to do your own maintenance or pay someone else? Do you want a rock solid truck or are you willing to spend time and money on a truck that may have some mechanical issues?

To me it sounds like you want something solid. At least you don't have to worry about rust with older trucks.

Ford V10 can be a hidden bargain. What you lose in fuel economy you make up in durability and lower purchase price. Good luck trying to find a "cheap used truck" these days lol.

Good luck shopping--not sure what qualifies as "cheap" these days, and until gas spikes again (if ever?) a truck won't qualify.

I think you mean 2007-2013 Tundra? 2007 was the redesign. Caution: the 4.7 and 4.6 are very different engines. 4.7 is TB while 4.6 is a short stroke timing chain 5.7; 4.7 got the 5AT while 4.6 and 5.7 have the 6AT. The 4.7 won't get the mpg of the 4.6. Not sure I want to say "avoid" the 4.7 but I'm not sure I'd be in a rush either. IMO the trailer towing package is a must on the 4.6 as mine feels like it needs the deeper gears--might even need more, actually. A 4.6 non-tow crew cab might be a complete dog... They have a few weak spots (starter is long lived but a pain to change, power steering racks if lifted and sometimes if not, all the problem front diffs should have been rebuilt by now, motors seem plagued by cam tower leaks). Not sure on mods, if that is your game, not sure what it'd take to get a real locker (it pulls brake lines for traction control) or change of gearing.

At 50 miles per week I don't think you could pay me to get a diesel... of any vintage. The good ones are too old and newer ones too expensive (even before the problems hit).

I'm still partial to the older Chevy's but haven't followed them in a long time. The older 4.3 V6 and the 4.8 V8 were stuck with the 4 speed auto, and likely will wake up with a gearing change. The 5.3's got the 6AT in what, 2009? and that might make for a nice well rounded setup. But if you aren't towing then I'm not sure a 4.3 or 4.8 should be overlooked. Not a lot of power, which means it might not be a lot of money.

You say you have kiddos but want to use this as a truck. Are you looking for 4 doors or an 8' bed? Or both?

Lastly it just wouldn't be BITOG if I didn't say "just get a trailer 'cuz nobody needs a pickup, let alone one with four doors"...

-2005-2013 Tundra: These are good trucks I know, I would especially like the 05-06 Crew cab. Main issue I have with this option; even with 200K+ miles, people want alot of money for these! I found an '05 that had 220K and asking was 14K. Seems high to me even for a Yota, especially with torn seats and faded paint. Maybe I'm too far out of the game!

Gen 1 Tundras with the 2UZ-FE V8 are highly sought after. I get offers all the time, even had a guy knock on my door one weekend, thought maybe it was a JW. Made me an offer -- thanks but not selling. I have people in parking lots ask if the truck is for sale. Mine is cherry though with clean interior and spotless paint. That price is not out of line.

I like older pickups, because I am not afraid to use it like a pickup.
Our trusty 2001 Tundra has been bulletproof. People ask what I want for it all the time.
The 2003 up had the bigger front brake calipers. I think 2002 up had the newer transmission with an extra gear.
I put a backup camera and double din Android Auto / Apple Carplay radio in. Easy peasey.
Good luck.
IMG_20200916_100802.jpg

Last edited:
I think you mean 2007-2013 Tundra? 2007 was the redesign.

Clearly not what he meant since OP stated "I would especially like the 05-06 Crew cab." which is the Gen 1 Tundra with the 2UZ-FE4.7L V8.

Clearly not what he meant since OP stated "I would especially like the 05-06 Crew cab." which is the Gen 1 Tundra with the 2UZ-FE4.7L V8.
Ah, I think I see--he said 2005-2013 but that he prefers the 2005-6 crew cabs. Ok, just a bit confused, as that is two different generations so it feels like shopping for two different trucks, as IIRC the first gen was smaller.

I'm selling mine if you can drive a manual. I just took a job downtown and I don't want to sit in stop and go traffic for 1+ hour with a manual.

Located in NY but willing to ship.

I've got the 2004 Tundra TRD yes that year is with the larger brakes, offroad package, towing package. What for that model year was fully loaded.

Is this truck going to be a daily driver or just used occasionally?

Are you going to do your own maintenance or pay someone else? Do you want a rock solid truck or are you willing to spend time and money on a truck that may have some mechanical issues?

To me it sounds like you want something solid. At least you don't have to worry about rust with older trucks.

This will be a daily; commute is only 3 miles each way. I will be doing the maintenance unless it is beyond my tool supply/abilities. I want a pretty solid truck, but being that it will be older with some miles I am willing to bring her up to snuff. And yes, thankfully no rust issues here!

Dareo, that's kind of what I was thinking regarding the V10. Did you happen to look at the one in the ad I listed.

Coffeehound, I'm not a huge Chevy guy; just preference really I know they're decent trucks.

Supton, Sorry about the confusion. I do like both of those generations of Tundra. I would likely go 05-06 crew or 07-13 w/ the 5.7. Good to know that the price point isn't out of line for the 05-06's as well. In regards to priorities, I don't need an 8' foot bed, but a 4 door I think for sure. Although the '07 up Double cab seems pretty roomy to me?

The Gen 1 Tundra was smaller, which is one of the reasons they are sought after. It is super easy to drive and rides like a car. They are more user serviceable too. Have a transmission dipstick and transmission drain plug for example.

Reactions: JC1
There will be no "cheap trucks" unless they have been beaten to death and/or have mega miles.

I disagree. I believe mine to be "cheap" and it's not beat or high mileage. Does it have dings and scratches? Yes. But it's in great shape and I took really good care of it, as did the prior owner.

They're out there, just tough to find.

How old are the kids? I thought the double cab was sufficient for my kids--when my son is 6' maybe not, but he hasn't gotten there yet, plus... what do I care about the kid's comfort? we all had to suffer, way back when we were kids... I recall having to ride three across in the family station wagon, no a/c ... I digress!

I suspect that DC will be tight if not a real pain if dealing with rear facing infant seats. Not sure, never tried. Once I put on running boards the kids seemed unfazed with my truck. They have enough space. The down size of the Gen 2 crew cab is that they have a shorter bed--I thought the 6.5' bed of the DC was about right for my needs, balancing cab vs bed. [Although lately I've been disliking the bed size and would be ok with a shorter bed, it's too hard to get to stuff!]

The 2004 Tundra was available in crew cab as well (called Double Cab in 1st gen trucks). The major differences between it and the 2005 & 2006 are:

1) 4-speed automatic instead of 5-speed. This does not help hwy mpg at all as 4th in the 4 speed and 5th in the 5 speed are the same ratio.
2) 4-speed automatic actually has dipstick and ATF changes are a bit easier.
3) 2005 has 280 hp 4.7 (w/ variable valve timing) instead of the 240 hp version used 2000-2004. I owned a 2004 for a number of years and power wasn't an issue. The 05-06 trucks really don't feel faster or more powerful either.

Bottom line, I would seek a 2004 if you like the 1st generation Tundra. However, the newer ones (2007+) are bigger with much stronger engine (5.7, leave the 4.6 to others). There is no significant real world MPG penalty between the two engines but the 5.7 is the better choice.

Back