Used Troybilt TB30R rear engine rider

Looking at a year old (2020 year model) Troybilt TB30R rear engine rider. As I understand it is the same as a Craftsman R110 rear engine rider. Does anyone have any experience with either of these as far owning/using? Really good shape overall. Engine is single cyl. overhead valve with a spin on oil filter 10.5 HP and appears to be a Briggs and Stratton.

They are no longer they machines of yore, when Troy-built was sold several year ago, the quality & durability took a severe nosedive.
Now they are at the same level as any in that price range. Whereas once they could compete with the likes of BSC; Grillo and Honda these latter ones have moved on, but not Troy-built.

It is exactly the same machine as the Craftsman. They come from the same MTD factory. I have a friend who has one, can't really speak to the potential longevity but it handles nicely in a smaller yard.

I believe the engine is a Chinese knockoff not that the Briggs is any better since they moved everything to China too but you will have a harder time getting parts or repair. These do not have any wheels on the deck so you must have a flat smooth lawn or it will scalp. Since the engine is in the rear the steering is very loose on damp grass or any hill like a small zero turn and it uses a single 30" blade so getting it balanced is even more important than those using 2 shorter blades. They are very slow (think fast walking) so are OK for small smooth residential yards up to 1/2 an acre or so but are light duty and if you push them on hills or larger yards they wont last long.

Back