Used Toyota 90915-YZZN1 7000km(4350mi)

So here we have my second post ever, it's a lightly used YZZN1 off a '18 Prius Prime. It was a 7000km (4350mi) interval that hit the 6 month mark and I do lots of start start driving. This was the product of my first oil change on my personal vehicle, and my third ever oil change period. As this is also a plug in hybrid I doubt the oil even had 2000 km (1250mi) of engine use but the prime doesn't keep track.

I cut it open and as expected very boring, nothing to see really at all, the filter media is far to tough to spread open for a good camera shot I did however look in every pleat and it looked good to me.

I am just a novice at that and having a lot of fun. Also I tried to take a decent shot of the baseplate, as mine doesn't seem to exhibit all that black sealant? that was in the whip city wrencher video.

Regards to all and hope everyone who is interested enjoys.
1B1A72BA-65BB-4E01-A824-F6F0B02027D4.jpg
88B671A0-7DD1-49B0-95F5-41678E02FC6C.jpg
75A12C4F-686C-4705-8E84-F34FE84632C7.jpg
3B1B64C4-E25B-4055-953A-BC923982D9CF.jpg
6990F0DA-2877-4906-8259-FCB09178B651.jpg

Sir it is mentioned in my post the answer to your exact question. And if the prius prime tells me a hybrid/ev split I have not been able to find it.
Thanks, missed that part ... skimmed too fast, lol. Explains why the oil is so clean. Why not go longer on the oil? What's the Toyota OM say?

Thanks, missed that part ... skimmed too fast, lol. Explains why the oil is so clean. Why not go longer on the oil? What's the Toyota OM say?
15000km or 1 year, or severe service is 8000km 6 months. I do lots of short trips and yes I work the EV the vast majority of the time I like treating my little engine right. Toyota Genuine Motor Oil and an OEM YZZN1 filter cost me approx $41CAD. I find that quite reasonable and honestly maybe I am odd but I have found I quite enjoy changing my oil. So 6 month oil changes are just going to be the standard as far as I am concerned. My commute to work is 5km (3.1mi) so even when I fire up the petrol engine, it doesn't even have time to burn off moisture. So I consider that severe service too.

That looks way too clean. Oh that's right the prime can drive on pure electric power and it's not gdi so no soot either.

Good looking filter. 👍🏻

I would consider going at least one year on the oil change interval. Does the Prius Prime tell you how often the engine is running versus being on battery?

Good looking filter. 👍🏻

I would consider going at least one year on the oil change interval. Does the Prius Prime tell you how often the engine is running versus being on battery?
Not that I've been able to find. And I am sure you are quite right I could push it a year. However I actually enjoy doing an oil change I found out. So this is no trial or tribulation for myself. And for $41 CAD ($31.55 USD) for a complete synthetic Toyota OEM change, I am quite satisfied with that. The sad thing is, on that schedule I still only get to do one a year myself, as Toyota performs a yearly oil change on my car for life at no cost to me.

Not that I've been able to find. And I am sure you are quite right I could push it a year. However I actually enjoy doing an oil change I found out. So this is no trial or tribulation for myself. And for $41 CAD ($31.55 USD) for a complete synthetic Toyota OEM change, I am quite satisfied with that. The sad thing is, on that schedule I still only get to do one a year myself, as Toyota performs a yearly oil change on my car for life at no cost to me.
I think we’ve all been guilty of an oil change even when the vehicle doesnt need it. No worries there.

If you are going to only end up doing it once a year I’d suggest scheduling it during the most favorable weather window. Let Toyota do the other one in less than favorable conditions.

I think we’ve all been guilty of an oil change even when the vehicle doesnt need it. No worries there.

If you are going to only end up doing it once a year I’d suggest scheduling it during the most favorable weather window. Let Toyota do the other one in less than favorable conditions.
Exactly. I go November for the dealer change and may for my oil change. It has been a very rainy may so it got put off to a dry day in June!

Good advice thanks

I too use the N2 filter for my 2022 Lexus ES300 hybrid. Was thinking about another brand but after your photos, I’ll be using OEM filters for the life of my car. Thanks for sharing your work with us all!

Back