Used tire experts... what happened with this tire?

Ok i ordered a nice used tire and in pictures it looked nice.
I received this and am wondering if tire hit a curb or if its on purpose to not be used.
I will probably keep as full size spare because i don't trust sidewall issues.
I ordered another tire since i got a refund.
Car it goes on goes through tires fast as is it driven faily hard so i get used nicer tires.

20210730_161249.jpg

20210730_161008.jpg

Guys selling new old stock often grind off the date code so you cant tell how old a tire is.

Big scam in the RV world " I got new tires" - that are 5 years old.......

I wonder if it was grooved like that intentionally for balance? It looks intentional in a good way

Intentionally? Yes. But there's no "good way" when it comes to trenching a tire sidewall.

Never seen anything like this btw. and certainly wouldn't drive a single mile that way.

I received this and am wondering if tire hit a curb or if its on purpose to not be used.
That tire started out life impossible to balance. There is a limit as to how much led you can put on a rim before it becomes pointless and useless to try and balance the wheel. Sometimes tires are manufactured like that, even some of the best brands can have manufacturing defects.

So someone had the bright idea to "force" the "balancing act" for this tire and shaved off some of it. They do it with re-threaded tires all the time. It is not safe to drive with it like that, not even as a spare tire.

May I ask please: where did you order it from?

Looks intentional, as if they were removing the DOT code or something.
Looks like the DOT number has been removed.......and was probably removed for a reason.
Yup, That's what I think as well. A clue is that there is a trace of an outline where the Date Code plug would be.

The OP can confirm if there is a DOT code ANYWHERE on the tire. If not, then the DOT code was removed for a reason and the most likely guess is the age of the tire.

Looks like the OP was scammed!

Yup, That's what I think as well. A clue is that there is a trace of an outline where the Date Code plug would be.

The OP can confirm if there is a DOT code ANYWHERE on the tire. If not, then the DOT code was removed for a reason and the most likely guess is the age of the tire.

Looks like the OP was scammed!
Looking again ... its where the numerical date code would be.
I got a refund so no scam ... just a little irritated.
Its an Ebay shop i have used before with no complaints.
I always check used tires before they get mounted... win some lose some.
I will probably just make a small flower bed out of it now... lol.
Thanks for the info 👍.

Back