Used oil used in new motor oil

I have often wondered what they do with the used oil? We have a county recycling center where we take our trash and recycle stuff (plastic, newspaper, etc.) They have a tank that we dump drain oil in. I gotta believe that I am not the only one that dumps everything in there; motor oil, ATF, brake fluid, gear oil etc. What can they possibly do with that stuff then?

I do know the local process for separating the solids is highly efficient. They use slave labor (ie rent prisoners from the state).

I have often wondered what they do with the used oil? We have a county recycling center where we take our trash and recycle stuff (plastic, newspaper, etc.) They have a tank that we dump drain oil in. I gotta believe that I am not the only one that dumps everything in there; motor oil, ATF, brake fluid, gear oil etc. What can they possibly do with that stuff then?
Don't dump brake fluid in... it's glycol based and messes up the process for most recyclers

Refining used motor oil is a cakewalk compared to refining crude. It's the volume and collection logistics that makes it difficult at this point in time.

Remember Valvoline NextGen?
I think one thing that made NextGen not go over well (at least in my locale), was that is was essentially the same price as the regular Valvoline oil. If it is the same price, then the average consumer was going to go for the regular Valvoline pretty much every time.

I know that here in Holland the old motoroil from garages is also collected and send to a large company in germany who refine it and sell it again.
I am not sure to whom or what kind of application it will be used again but i dont think it will be cars again. Also not modern trucks.

Maybe it will be exported to poorer regions.

In the past it was used in containerships etc... as fuel but that is not allowed anymore.

SafetyKleen is common enough. Valvoline tried to market their oil and it was a flop. Consumers don't understand the process. The used oil is re-refined into a base oil that can be made into almost any lubricant product. They should refine it to a GroupIII level, sell it to the blenders, bottle it as a full synthetic motor oil, and not label the bottle with the re-refined marketing. What the consumer doesn't know won't hurt them.

It takes 1 gallon of used oil to produce 2.5 quarts of re-refined oil, while it takes 42 gallons of crude oil to produce the same 2.5 quarts of oil.

It takes 1 gallon of used oil to produce 2.5 quarts of re-refined oil, while it takes 42 gallons of crude oil to produce the same 2.5 quarts of oil.
No it doesn't. This nonsense has been posted here before and is way off the mark. That's the relative overall production from a barrel of oil but the rest is used to produce other products such as fuels and plastics. It does not "take" 42 gallons to crude oil to produce 2.5 quarts of lubricating oil.

In other words, out of that same 42 gallon barrel of crude, will come plenty of other products, not just the oil that becomes our motor oil.

With crude oil hovering around $50/ba, imagine the price of motor oil if the raw materials out of 2.5 quarts of motor oil cost $50. You thought Royal Purple was expensive before..... :p

No it doesn't. This nonsense has been posted here before and is way off the mark. That's the relative overall production from a barrel of oil but the rest is used to produce other products such as fuels and plastics. It does not "take" 42 gallons to crude oil to produce 2.5 quarts of lubricating oil.

Last edited:
Don't dump brake fluid in... it's glycol based and messes up the process for most recyclers
I'm quite certain this gets done a LOT. I do it. There's nowhere else (feasibly) for it to go, except the landfill. There's no sign that I've ever noticed (and no I'm not hunting for it) that says not to. If the recyclers are assuming any of those containers they get back don't have all sorts of stuff in them, they are very, very wrong.

I'm quite certain this gets done a LOT. I do it. There's nowhere else (feasibly) for it to go, except the landfill. There's no sign that I've ever noticed (and no I'm not hunting for it) that says not to. If the recyclers are assuming any of those containers they get back don't have all sorts of stuff in them, they are very, very wrong.
Considering that brake fluid is flammable, one feasible method of disposal is to mix it with motor oil that is then burned in a waste oil heater. That’s what I do.

Considering that brake fluid is flammable, one “feasible” disposal method is to mix it with motor oil that is then burned in a waste oil heater. That’s what I do.
I don't know where the oil in the tanks I dump into ends up. It's usually the AAP store.

I dump it all in together at the shop I use. The owner burns it in his furnace. He says the brake fluid burns right along with the motor and gear oil. Saves him a bundle on heating oil.

Well I'll wait and see if they can ad things to it that will give the average car another 100,000 K of engine life and the price is right I'll buy it. But we aren't there yet are we?

Back