Used Oil Turned Away for Non-OSHA container

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

I put my gallon jugs of used oil into a big box and lugged the heavy oil to the local Kragen for disposal. I like Kragen because they never give me any hassle about recycling oil there--until today, that is.

They told me they couldn't accept my oil because it was stored in...non-OSHA-approved containers! I use empty jugs of protein powder to store used oil. They're ideal because of the large capacity and big opening. It's easy to pour oil into and out of them, and I've been re-using them for years. Now Kragen has turned me and my perfect storage containers away. It's a new regulation, they say, and showed me the new policy.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Did you ask them to show you an OSHA approved container
confused.gif
I've never seen an OSHA cert on an oil jug ..make that any container that I can think of (although I never really looked for one, admittedly) Is the original oil bottle OSHA approved?

I put out my used oil in 1 gallon milk jugs at the curb on recycling day. Every community is going to do recycling "their way".

OSHA, what do THEY have to do with it? All that could mean is it doesn't have a proper handle???

I guess their corporate doesn't want them to sue or file for insurance if someone brings in a container that could cause them unnecessary strain?

I just went through an OSHA general industry course and we learned NOTHING about approved oil containers.

Finally something I actually know about to give back to BITOG!
tongue.gif

OSHA- To meet the Hazard communications standard you need to mark any container you move the fluids into with the contents so that persons who did not fill the container do not mistake the contents of the fluid for something it is not.

If you place used oil in the container mark it "USED Motor OIL" with a marker or a tag. You have fulfilled OSHAS obligation.
That is all that OSHA requires for temporary transfer of fluids. I don't see the applicability when dealing with the public to the business transfers since a private citizen can pass on a container marked as anything inaccurate. I would go back and ask to speak to the manager and seek further clarification.

If they are keeping the containers and not transferring the fluid to a larger container before transport it then falls under RCRA Follow that link into the dark abyss of environmental law.

Personaly I usually end up leaving my containers aby the register when I am ignored by the busy workers at Autozone. I use old oil and detergent containers just so I don't have to wait for them to bring back my container.. They can't tell me no when its sitting in there door.

BrianWC, I hope you learned about explosion proof flamable liquid containers on construction sights made from metal with flame arestors and spring pressure lids. I also hope that you got the Haz com training.. Otherwise let me know who your instructor was and I will go kick him in the nads for negligent instruction.

I used to dispose my oil at Kragen since its just around the corner from my house. Many times I go there, they would be full. The only thing they really make it clear it to take your container back or you could be cited for littering. Most people bring those oil change containers there to throw out their oil. Did they tell you what kinds of containers are ok or ask them? Safety always come first of course.

Now I usually drop off all my household hazardous waste at my local disposal facility. I save up a lot of waste before I go there. I always label all containers clearly. I use gallon milk jugs and cooking oil containers that are 5 gallons.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
BrianWC, I hope you learned about explosion proof flamable liquid containers on construction sights made from metal with flame arestors and spring pressure lids. I also hope that you got the Haz com training.. Otherwise let me know who your instructor was and I will go kick him in the nads for negligent instruction.

Yes, but I thought this was about something more involved than "USED OIL!" Yes, I just went through properly labeling everything 2 weeks ago where I work b/c our main safety officer dinged us.

I didn't get the Hazmat training b/c I've already had that in my wildland fire training. It'll make you feel real good to know that I'm probably a month or so away from becoming my district office's safety officer.
shocked.gif
lol.gif

About 15 years ago in my area they started a mandatory recycle program here and got charged $5.00 a month. In the original information it stated they would take used motor oil only if it was in 1 gallon milk jugs and the cap was closed and duct taped well. I later learned that the type of plastic used in milk jugs was a certain type the worked OK for petroleum products for a short period of time. Also learned later it had to look like used motor oil from the outside. They won't haul it off, if it is not the right color. For example they won't haul off some what clean looking motor oil or gear oil.

But at work we do have to have transport oil or other chemicals in company approved containers. And marked with label listing some info stating what the product is and who the MFG is. So far I know nothing about OSHA approved containers for recycled oil. At my company usually the EPA and our own chemical engineers sets the guidelines as far as recycled products.

At my local recycler, they will take oil, containers and filters so long as the container originally had oil in it. So you can bring in used oil in milk jugs but you have to take them home. I buy all my oil in 4L jugs which are great for refilling with used oil.

I never have any issues recycling oil up here but it really annoys me how I can't recycle the filters in PA. Oil filters definitely need to be recycled but up here they simply throw them away.

I bet that store is worried about spills. Lets face it, not all people put used oil in good containers with good seals. Our maint. garages had to build contrainment areas to catch oil spills and to have plans in place if one did occur. My buddy has a service shop and people just place all kinds of containers with all kinds of liquids at his back door. All to often there is a big mess for him and with all the monitoring wells he must have to sell gas, he is looking a some very high costs from any kind of spill. He had to install camera's and turn in these people to protect himself from liability. While some think its trival, its not to the person/store etc that they come after for cleanup. He had to carry a min. 1 million insurance against any enviromental problem and put up with state inspections at any time + hire a consulting firm at about $10,000 a year to advise him on what to do and not do.

Link to EPA Used Oil Management Program

I use 5 gallon oil/lube/grease pails that I marked with paint as USED DRAIN OIL. Just in case something should occur and I am not there. I know of someone who kid dumped used oil in the old man's truck that was stored in a oil bottle.

[ September 03, 2006, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

EPA guidelines

Here is why your container was rejected.

2CONTAIN. Put your used motor oil in a
clean plastic container with a tight lid. Never
store used oil in a container that once held
chemicals, food or beverages.

This sounds like a silly EPA guideline that is making it that much harder to recycle oil, and will be counterproductive to keeping a healthy environment.

In all practicality this means no used container could be used to transport old motor oil, since nearly all used containers held chemicals, food, or beverages at one point. The 5-gal containers I've used in the past held ethanol and cooking oil -- now banned per EPA guideline.

I know it's a little more tedious, but I put the used oil back in the oil bottles.

I don't understand why bureaucracies make it so hard to properly dispose of waste materials.

I wish that I had an oil burning garage heater or diesel powered equipment that I could use the oil in.

All, thanks for the replies and clarifications. The Kragen manager told me that the original container that the oil came in was OSHA approved, but the original container is a quart bottle with a teeny mouth. No way I'm going to pour the used oil back in quart bottles. I'd spill it all over the place. I made it clear that I wanted my old containers back, but no go. He said I could also bring oil back in one of those oil drain pan/container things that you can buy at the store for $15. I think I may go that route.

-

The obvious result of these increasingly cumbersome regulations is that more used oil will be dumped on the ground or in sewers. Make it too hard for folks to do the responsible thing and they'll opt for the irresponsible thing.

I take my used oil to Walmart in a 5 gallon bucket and I poor the used oil into the tank myself. I just have to fill out a paper on a clipboard telling them who I am, where I live, quantity of oil and sign my signiture promising that their's no brake fluid in the used oil. They will also take the used filters too, but they have to be fully intact.
grin.gif

Thanks for the warning, Bill. I had a look today at similar drain pans sold at WalMart and didn't like them. I don't want to carry something in my car that has oil all over the outside of it.

I guess I'll have to ask around and find somebody that buys oil in 5 qt jugs to save some jugs for me. They still won't work as good as the protein powder containers I use now. The big, wide mouths need no funnel and they can be emptied in 2-seconds flat.

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:

Yes, but I thought this was about something more involved than "USED OIL!" Yes, I just went through properly labeling everything 2 weeks ago where I work b/c our main safety officer dinged us.

I didn't get the Hazmat training b/c I've already had that in my wildland fire training. It'll make you feel real good to know that I'm probably a month or so away from becoming my district office's safety officer.
shocked.gif
lol.gif

I feel fine, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back