Used Oil sample from Chevrolet LS1 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

9c1

Has anyone been able to get a sample without draining the oil? The vacuum tool that draws from a plastic tube inserted in the dip stick tube will not go down into the sump on this engine. There is a warning in the instructions that it may not work on this engine.
I tried to draw some oil from the head through the fill spout, but no luck there either.
Any other ideas?
I know Fumoto valve, but I am trying to get a sample from the oil on a new-to-me vehicle.

Terry

Terry, angle cut/trim the end of the tubing to provide easier entry, You may also need thinner tubing to assist in penetrating the sump.

I love this job.
rolleyes.gif

TD

How about just doing what 3MP does? He just loosens the drain plug a tiny bit and lets some dribble out, then draws the sample.

So how do you like the LS1 so far? Have you done any mods on it yet? You've got to check out www.ls2.com and especially www.ls1tech.com for all the good info on these motors.

I'll try your ideas Terry & Pat. I'm trying to get a base analysis from the oil the NC maintenance garage put in.

Thanks too for the links Pat. I hadn’t found those places yet. I still have to get an FSM and resolve some issues like a SES light--Bank 2 catalyst inefficient.

It certainly is different than the Caprice. If the 9C1 is a bomber, the B4C is a fighter aircraft.
Terry

Mike,
I have something like that (just not that brand), and it has worked well on other engines, but on this engine the tube does not go all the way into the sump. There is something that stops it before it gets there, yet the oil dipstick goes in fine.

Terry

I got it -- thanks for all your suggestions.

It takes a 3/16-inch tube with an angle cut on the end to get through goodness knows what they put in there.

I was trying with the 1/4-inch tube that works for all the other Chevrolet small blocks.

Mike are you using a 3/16-inch OD tube?

Terry, now we will get to see what the North Carolina Highway Patrol did to this LS1 in 90K miles.
Terry

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Terry, angle cut/trim the end of the tubing to provide easier entry, You may also need thinner tubing to assist in penetrating the sump.

TD

Terry, do you need to take any special precautions to avoid contaminating your sample from scooping up goop in the dipstick tube?

Yes, make sure the tube opening is clean top to bottom. Probing with another sample tube helps to clean that. Don't use the one you will pull the sample with.

On gaining entry to a difficult tube rotate that trimmed sample tubing and you might find the sweet spot and get in to the oil.

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back