Used oil and cold temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a motor oil has a real good rated oil flow at real low temps say Mobil 1 0w30 for example will that cold temp pumpibality decrease and less effective when the oil has say 8,000 miles on it when the oil is used and dirty?

I vote yes. Not dirt, but the usage wears out the additives and will approach a viscosity something in the middle. The timeframe though is up for debate. Nobosy is going to deny at say 100000 miles its going to be mud. And at 100 miles itll be like new. So somewhere in the middle its going to change over.

Interesting question, it could shear down a bit in grade (get thinner) it could remain in grade to the end or it could thicken up from Volatility.

I would be interested in hearing what the pros here think.

Yes. An oil's characteristics will change during the OCI.

Generally speaking: lighter oils will burn off first and VII will break down. So in an extreme case, 0w-40 could resemble a 10w-30 after hard use.

If you had a junky oil that used pour point depressants those could wear out.

I wouldn't worry about M1 though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you had a junky oil that used pour point depressants those could wear out.

I wouldn't worry about M1 though any API rated oil that is changed in a reasonable OCI

fixed

Literature indicates that the cold flow properties are damaged during an OCI, so your 0W might not be a 0W through the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back