Used Hyundai Santa Fe, any good

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I were looking at an '02 Santa Fe for sale on a corner this evening. We didn't get inside it or anything but looks nice all around otherwise. Had what seemed like a descent price on it. It has about 220,000 miles on it though. I mean, it probably depends how well it was taken care of, what it was used for, etc. but would this be too many miles for a vehicle like this? Does this vehicle in particular have anything to look out for on? It is an AWD like we're looking for. Her Grand Am doesn't quite cut it where we live in the winter real well.

Last edited:
A co-worker of mine has a Sante Fe of that vintage. It's a 2004 or thereabouts. His has the 2.7L engine and he's closing in on 200,000 miles with it. He hasn't had any trouble from his at all. I encourage him to keep the timing belt changed on time and fluids like ATF changed. He's pretty good about getting stuff done when it needs to be done and the car's lasted for him.

Most of his miles are highway, obviously. His is FWD. I'm not familiar at all with Hyundai's AWD system.

If well maintained, I'd say it's about as good as almost any vehicle of that mileage. Know that maintenance is probably higher on awd, mpg is less. Find out the last time timing belt was changed. Ck for rust.

I would avoid anything that high mileage and that old. Going to kill you with maintanence costs immediately, or over the years ahead.

I was going to say....original trans and everything else, with that many miles, somethings got to give. You have look at the price/fix it up ratio's.

With those miles, you're really buying the previous owner(s) rather than the car. If it was abused, you're more likely to encounter serious failures, and soon. If it was well-maintained and has records, it's worth looking closer. If you have any questions at all about how the car was maintained, walk away.

With any used car purchase, get an inspection from an independent mechanic you trust (no small feat, I know).

Friend had a 02 Santa Fe with the 2.7L. The trans gave up at 180k but then again it lived all its life in LA traffic.
Personally I'd look for a newer car. As mentioned before, the price/fix ratio should be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back