Used HM Vehicles

Yesterday I saw a 2023 Chevy Malibu for sale with over 67,000 miles on it... It was only about $2500 less than a new one.. 😳

I would never buy a car like that even if it was heavily discounted. Would you?
Not for $2,500 less than a new one. Just rolling it off the lot knocks more than that off the price.

No.
Even though with that kind of mileage, it probably has new tires and brakes on it, it still has lost the factory warranty on it and does not have the required depreciation on it that would make it a value.
However, by the time they get done in the business office, after heaping on an extended warranty, and all the other "Goodies," a savvy buyer could have easily bought new for at least the same or less money.
That is why there is more money in selling used cars than new.

It seems the car markets are cooling off but dealerships are playing games
Case in point one Toyota place in my area is stocked up completely with cars, while just 10 miles down the same road, it’s lot is empty for the most part
Go figure

In reality I think the market is softening but dealerships are definitely trying to keep it inflated. I ran into the same thing, used Mustangs were horrible values and lightly used ones (2 years old with 20 to 30k) were the SAME price as a new one. Just nuts. Kicker was new ones were very hard to find. I literally got the only new EcoBoost in the entire metro area. Something like 7 Ford dealers.

Whole thing is just nuts the virus excuse is worn out.

I wouldn't, but i imagine it has room for negotiation. I would rather have a 1 year old vehicle with 60K than a 4 year old one 30K, - if price was the same.

According to Manheim the market isn't softening much. Been talk of softening for a couple years. I can see it sticking around for quite a while longer actually.

1684068993214.jpg

That is absolutely crazy. Who in their right mind would pay for something like that when you can get a new care for a few dollars more. And if the buyer is financing it they will have to pay a higher interest rate and in the end may pay what a new one would cost anyway.

With GM you could probably negotiate the price down a couple K on a new one by carefully shopping. And you could end up with a less expensive final cost in the long run.

Back