Used Half Quart of Mobil EP high mileage by mistake, should I drain oil now?

Hello Everyone,

I put in a Half Quart of Mobil 1 EP High Mileage oil by mistake in my 2014 Camry. Usually I use the regular Mobil 1 EP oil. Should I go ahead and drain it all out? I have been reading conflicting things about how HM oil can swell seals. I do not have any oil leaks and would not want any seals or gaskets to swell. What do you guys think, should I change the oil to play it safe or should I be fine? Thank in advance everyone.

Meh, it's only like 10% of the oil, there's already seal conditioners in oil, HM just has an undisclosed extra amount, all you did was slightly replenish the amount of seal conditioner in the used oil is how I see it.

Originally Posted by TexasMemon
Hello Everyone,

I put in a Half Quart of Mobil 1 EP High Mileage oil by mistake in my 2014 Camry. Usually I use the regular Mobil 1 EP oil. Should I go ahead and drain it all out? I have been reading conflicting things about how HM oil can swell seals. I do not have any oil leaks and would not want any seals or gaskets to swell. What do you guys think, should I change the oil to play it safe or should I be fine? Thank in advance everyone.

What makes you think you need to change the oil?

lol.gif

What ????

This can't be serious...
lol.gif

If anything it will prevent future leaks. I wish my truck ran high mileage before it started to leak, but it was owned by my employer then so it just got basic conventional oil changes for the first 180k.

Originally Posted by bbhero
lol.gif

What ????

This can't be serious...
lol.gif

That was my thought as well.
This had to be a wind-up by the OP.
As the Brits would say, he was taking the [censored].

Assuming you're not trolling, HM oils aren't snake oil as far as similar stuff like power steering fluid "plus stop leak" or AC charge "with stop leak", both of which aren't great for cars.

Arguably, they're what oil "should be" but has additive levels not great for catalytic converters under warranty. If you don't burn much oil it's not an issue.

So, you think the seal will say "oh it is a HM oil, I better swell!!!"
Not really.

Unlike what we usually think that engine have a soul, it is not.
Oil is oil inside the engine, engine will not distinguish its feature or know any better.

Back