Used Car Values

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Surprised you would try another

GM after that list of [censored]....

I hear you, I really do, and I thought long and hard about it.

I've had GM cars my entire life, and that Impala was the first one to throw me a curve ball. We drove the Cruze and found it head and shoulders above the Corolla and Civic. We let that sit for awhile while we decided what to do with our other car a 2010 Malibu. We ended up buying a 2016.5 service loaner with 7,000 miles on it for a steal. Mine was a 2017 left over, new.

I really do feel that newer GM products are much better than their "bankruptcy" years. I also do feel I did hit every pain point the Impala had to offer while some folks encounter only a few, or none of what I listed.

I am considering a Cruze myself. What are your opinions of the 1.4 vs the 1.8?

I have no experience with either of the last generation engines. I did read the 1.8 is a bit down on power and has a timing belt vs a chain.

The 1.4 had some problems in earlier models with water pumps.

The new LE2 1.4T is standard across the board now with an optional diesel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

My thoughts exactly. He had more trouble with a 2010 then I had with a 2002 Ford product.

In all fairness, he did buy it used so who knows what happened to it in the first 35k. Also, the 2010 Impala was never one of GM's better cars. Oddly enough, the police department around here is still running those old things.

not if you look at the list of went wrong. No amount of "maintenance" would of made a difference. These are defects in the design or manufacture of the car.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

My thoughts exactly. He had more trouble with a 2010 then I had with a 2002 Ford product.

In all fairness, he did buy it used so who knows what happened to it in the first 35k. Also, the 2010 Impala was never one of GM's better cars. Oddly enough, the police department around here is still running those old things.

not if you look at the list of went wrong. No amount of "maintenance" would of made a difference. These are defects in the design or manufacture of the car.

Unless the owner's kid took it out at night doing neutral drops and burnouts with it.

3500s don't do much from a stop, much less a burn out. Maybe in the rain, going up a hill, making a turn.

I had a few fleet Impalas...

First, the LE Impalas were horrific. So if the local PD has a few on the road, give them a medal. None of mine made it to 70K before they required replacement. It was constant "lesser" issues. Multiple water pumps, alternators, power steering pumps. The amount of downtime sped up the refresh cycle.

The Civilian Impalas were mixed. One was semi-retired at 50K with a bad transmission... then had power steering issues. Another one was ok with only minor issues such as trim issues and an emissions issue, but another one was problem free until it was wrecked at 112K. And these were "rental-like" vehicles, so they had a hard life but were well maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back