Used car engine warranty denied due to lack of paperwork (Canadian case)

I found this interesting even though it is from Canada. This attorney says it can happen in the USA for the same reasons.

Owner purchased a used 2019 Infinity from a dealer which came with the factory remaining warranty. 6 months and 20000 km later the engine developed a knock and needed replacing. Infinity Dealer denies warranty because the new owner could not provide any paperwork or previous owner maintenance paperwork.

I am not sure if the car was purchased from an Infinity dealership or as a CPO, or what oil changes took place when the car was at the used car lot or by the new owner. It had 42000 km when purchased used.

Used car engine warranty denied

SO if true (Im not a fan of you tube conspiracies) the dealer almost 100% confirmed that the engine issue was caused by an oil related failure, most likely sludge up oil which is easy to detect. Honestly didnt watch the video though. If it can be related to an oil issue it would certainly seem reasonable to provide proof.

I wonder how the owners of the toyotas V-6 that had blocked oil passages in the head, that reduced oil flow and led to failure. Very common for that generation V-6. I don't know if Toyota ever offered a fix for that issue but I know of three people with tacomas that had an engine failures and required over $2500 to fix the head, which had to be machined for the fix.

I love toyota tacomas with the cab and the 3.5 V6, but I still remembering the head issue they had.. Not because I'm afraid it would happen with the new model, the issue has been resolved I just keep thinking of the morality of the company refusing to take responsibility for the issue.

This is evidence that the current owner neglected maintenance as well as past owner.
No, it's not.

There's not a single receipt for "maintenance" on my Touareg in the last 55,000 miles. And yet, it has seen 25 gallons of oil, 11 oil filters, two transmission filters,10 gallons of ATF, 2 gallons of gear oil, and 3 each air, fuel, and cabin filters.

How many people hit jiffy lube and trash the receipt. If a dealer wants to deny your warranty they will. And they have that power, unfortunately, through dishonestly, obstruction, or a combination thereof.

A dealer could just as easily say invoices and receipts are fabricated if they don't want to do the work. And you have no recourse.

Last edited:
No, it's not.

There's not a single receipt for "maintenance" on my Touareg in the last 55,000 miles. And yet, it has seen 25 gallons of oil, 11 oil filters, two transmission filters,10 gallons of ATF, 2 gallons of gear oil, and 3 each air, fuel, and cabin filters.

How many people hit jiffy lube and trash the receipt. If a dealer wants to debt your warranty, they will. And they have that power, unfortunately, through dishonestly, obstruction, or a combination thereof.

A dealer could just as easily say invoices and receipts are fabricated if they don't want to do the work. And you have no recourse.
Is there a log of the maintenance? Where did the receipts go for the oil, and all the other items you mentioned? BTW-maintenance records at Jiffy Lube are shown on each receipt. It shows a log on all the service you have had performed. Your scenario with the dealer denying warranty claims, stating "bogus receipts" is a bit of a stretch, I know its fashionable to bash dealers on here-but lets be realistic.

Who has prior owner maintenance records on a car they bought used? I'd bet 1% of owners.
I've actually purchased three separate cars from owners who have the entire service records safely organized in a folder or in the glove box. My friends wife does this too. Its fun to look through her receipts from sears, she routinely got ripped off.

Is there a log of the maintenance? Where did the receipts go for the oil, and all the other items you mentioned? BTW-maintenance records at Jiffy Lube are shown on each receipt. It shows a log on all the service you have had performed. Your scenario with the dealer denying warranty claims, stating "bogus receipts" is a bit of a stretch, I know its fashionable to bash dealers on here-but lets be realistic.
A log of the maintenance? No. I throw reciepts away. Don't have any for the '22 Honda either.

But I don't make a habit of doing business with shady dealers.

I'm not a dealer basher, but I am realistic. If a dealer denies warranty because of "no service history,"then in my opinion they're just as likely to call you a liar when you say you've done the maintenance yourself and show them reciepts.

Some dealers want all your money and get salty when you only bring them warranty work because warranty work pays less every year.

I wonder how the owners of the toyotas V-6 that had blocked oil passages in the head, that reduced oil flow and led to failure. Very common for that generation V-6. I don't know if Toyota ever offered a fix for that issue but I know of three people with tacomas that had an engine failures and required over $2500 to fix the head, which had to be machined for the fix.

I love toyota tacomas with the cab and the 3.5 V6, but I still remembering the head issue they had.. Not because I'm afraid it would happen with the new model, the issue has been resolved I just keep thinking of the morality of the company refusing to take responsibility for the issue.
Can you just primitively run some Liqui-Moly sludge remover to help open up the passages if you know this is likely to happen?

Ask the dealer for their maintenance records, whatever they have on file and then run a Carfax which could also show any non dealer network repairs since some mechanics sell data to Carfax. Could give you some clues where to look.

A log of the maintenance? No. I throw reciepts away. Don't have any for the '22 Honda either.

But I don't make a habit of doing business with shady dealers.

I'm not a dealer basher, but I am realistic. If a dealer denies warranty because of "no service history,"then in my opinion they're just as likely to call you a liar when you say you've done the maintenance yourself and show them reciepts.

Some dealers want all your money and get salty when you only bring them warranty work because warranty work pays less every year.
It would seem keeping a log and saving your receipts would be prudent. In the off chance you would need power train work. I quite frankly don't understand why you wouldn't-unless of course you feel it's a complete waste of time and want an even more uphill battle in the vent of a catastrophic failure and warranty repair.

I didn't catch it in the video, but I'd bet this is in regards to a VQ35DD engine in an Infinity QX60. I've read of probably two dozen instances now where these direct injected VQ35DD's get sludged up beyond repair in as little as 40K miles. It's usually this same exact scenario. The second owned buys it off lease, etc and gets burned. Nissan recommends 5000 mile OCI's on the 2017-2021 versions, yet extended it to 10K miles for 2022 and it's the same exact engine. They recommend 0w20.

I change the oil every 3500mi on our 2019 Pathfinder for this reason and the fact the oil looks terrible at 3500mi. The port injected VQ35DE's I've owned did not exhibit this behavior.

A "new" VQ35DD was around $12K last I checked.

No, it's not.

How many people hit jiffy lube and trash the receipt. If a dealer wants to deny your warranty they will. And they have that power, unfortunately, through dishonestly, obstruction, or a combination thereof.

We may have no recourse but I can sure as hell smear them on Social Media and I'm really good at that when I'm mad plus I'm relentless. And of course, I'd never buy another vehicle from them.

You mean the 1MZ-FE like in my Sienna? They fixed them, yes. They asked for evidence of one oil change in the vehicle history. No other documentation.

We may have no recourse but I can sure as hell smear them on Social Media and I'm really good at that when I'm mad plus I'm relentless. And of course, I'd never buy another vehicle from them.
Be aware-there have been court cases where the party (business) being slammed have taken the party posting negative comments to court for damages. Of course-it doesn't matter the outcome. Once sued you need legal representation and that COSTS YOU dollars.

I've only owned 1 car that had a manufacturer's warranty. For peace of mind, I had the dealer do all the services until warranty expiration. I was either a smart or stupid 18 year old. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
When you buy a used car from a dealer how often does it come with a stack of maintenance receipts? Pretty much never I expect.

The only situation in which I can see getting evidence of maintenance is if it happened to have been maintained at the same or at a same brand dealership. And even then the offending dealer would have to admit there was evidence in the database.

And anyway lack of maintenance isn't the only cause of sludging. I understand that oil sludging can be caused by coolant leaking into the oil, irrespective of how often the oil was changed.

And my brother had a Camry V6 (of the sludging era) sludge up on him and he changed the oil regularly at a well known local service center. That was before the sludging issue became well known. The service center spotted the sludging problem and advised him to trade the car in immediately. As I recall that was due to a design problem which involved oil hanging up in the heads.

Finally DIY guys like me keep a computer based spreadsheet of maintenance performed but buy oil and filters on opportunity, and not just before an oil change. I do keep the receipts but the dates would be all wrong.

Back