used boat and the crazy guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking for a small fishing boat... found one for sale by my house... walked over to see it today... 2000 lowe 1467T with a 6hp evinrude/trailer. condition pretty good... guy was looking for 3500$! showed me receipts from 2000 and thats what he paid for it 13 years ago!! guy was in his 60's living with his 80+yr old parents!
Gonna go back over with cash in a few weeks well below the 3500 asking price... wad of hundreds does wonders for unused boat in yard...
walked over to liquor store and got a bottle of evan williams honey reserve for 16.99
amazing what you do on a sunday with no football...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Not amazing what one doesn't do on a Sunday with.

Is that a triple negative?
smile.gif

Well, its 14 years old. Who knows in what condition it is really in.

At a minimum, you need to replace the impeller in the outboard and inspect/replace the trailer wheel bearings & seals.

Do the lights work on the trailer?

I would probably send out the carb and have it rebuilt. Its bound to need some cleaning given its age.

Good title for trailer & boat?

A hand held VHF radio is a good idea is you are boating where CH 16 is monitored.

I am thinking $1200 to $1500.

1200 sounds good... boat is rated for 25hp so I'll look for a bigger motor... motor and trailer looked like fun to wrench on... already have a sonar gps comgo from a friend, trolling motor in the garage...

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
Been looking for a small fishing boat... found one for sale by my house... walked over to see it today... 2000 lowe 1467T with a 6hp evinrude/trailer. condition pretty good... guy was looking for 3500$! showed me receipts from 2000 and thats what he paid for it 13 years ago!! guy was in his 60's living with his 80+yr old parents!
Gonna go back over with cash in a few weeks well below the 3500 asking price... wad of hundreds does wonders for unused boat in yard...
walked over to liquor store and got a bottle of evan williams honey reserve for 16.99

You did the right thing!

Lakes & used boats common here in NE Texas- if a good motor is involved, the general rule is that you buy the motor & get the boat & traler for free. Your neighbor's boat sounds like a $1000 tops rig to me, especially if you plan to replace the small 6HP outboard anyway.

If you're flexible & take your time, should be able to get other deals as good/probably better than the one you've posted.
(Asking new price for a 14-yr old underpowered rig is strictly la-la land stuff.)

yeah uncle with this winter not alot of boats out for sale... nuther blast coming in wed... Also got a small 12 ft pelicon boat frozen in the snow and ice on my route... that should go cheap this spring too... from the looks of that guy, cash will speak loudly... Whatever happens, I will be floating and fishing on something.

Well at least you can go to the Hootch store on Sunday. No can do in Texas.

For $3500 that little rig will sit there a long time even if all is perfect.

For perspective at the boat shows you can get a new one, with a nice trailer and a 15hp 4 stroke for about $5k.

Around here you can pick up a 19-20 footer, 10-15 years old, either in/out board in pretty good condition for around 5K all day long!!!!....with trailer even!!!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Around here you can pick up a 19-20 footer, 10-15 years old, either in/out board in pretty good condition for around 5K all day long!!!!....with trailer even!!!

You can do that anywhere but they are to big for fishing shallow lakes and marsh areas. Aluminum boats are nice around here for the lakes and chasing baby stripers into the shallows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back