Used blizzak winter tires

I have the opportunity to buy (4) used blizzak snow tires with less than 2,000 miles for $300. Tire size 245/70/17. The new price from cosco is $650. The seller had them on the vehicle from December 2020 till February of this year. Is that a fair price? I've gotten good deals on used winter tires in the past. The seller bought a new car.

I think that's a pretty good deal and, upon inspection, if they look excellent I'd probably buy them if I was in need. Might haggle down a bit if possible.

They've got 5-8 ish more years of life, and tens of thousands of miles. I have the same size Blizzaks for winter on my truck (I switch out for summer) and I like them a lot.

Yep. Good deal. I purchased a second hand set for our Honda Odyssey minivan years ago. Ran them for 2 seasons and sold them again after we sold the van.

I have the opportunity to buy (4) used blizzak snow tires with less than 2,000 miles for $300. Tire size 245/70/17. The new price from cosco is $650. The seller had them on the vehicle from December 2020 till February of this year. Is that a fair price? I've gotten good deals on used winter tires in the past. The seller bought a new car.
Just remember that the Blizzaks once at less than 50% tread will not work the same, but like a normal winter tire and not at the same level as the "Best" winter tires, but at that price you can't lose!

Make sure you check the date codes on the side wall as well. Many sellers say only ran for one season, but the tires are older.

Make sure you check these tires in the day time of possible. It's hard to see defects in the dark. Check the tread depth as well. Hopefully the seller didn't leave these tires on and ran them during summer months. I see many people up here running snow tires from April to July because they don't have time to get them swapped over!!!🤣

When I had my Sienna I bought a used set of blizzaks and they were fine.

The 4 MOUNTED SNOWS I bought from a neighbor were a bit worn but the $200 price had to be factored in.

I'm prompt with installation and removal and have gotten 7 effective years out of them so far.

And if you are going a distance for them, ask for pics of all 4, especially for snow tires. I've had a few guys take pics of the best one and then 2 of them are at 5/32 which is done for a snow tire IMO.
The seller is local, minutes away. The guy purchased them and had them mounted at Costco Dec 1 and taken off in Feb this year with receipts. Less than 2,000 miles, stored in garage in bags. He claims 13/32nds tread, I'll measure for myself. I'll be looking at them Monday, he's out of town.

Great tires. I've bought three barely used sets over the past few years for 1/3 price of a new set. As long as they still good tread and no damage, you won't be disappointed.

I ran Blizzaks on my 2001 BMW 330Ci (RWD!) in the metro-DC area. Great tires.
Same except a Mercedes 300D for about 6 or 7 years. We had a couple of good Winters and they were excellent. Kind of mushy riding compared to the Bridgestones, but they're Winter tires.

Like stated above, the Blizzaks only have silica in the outer 50% of the tread, so how much of that is worn off has to be factored in. I've had several sets of Conti studless tires, and they seem to have silica everywhere, even sparkles visible in the sidewalls. I've retired some due to age, but I haven't worn a set out yet.

I'd prefer to be at $50 per tire, though at the size your looking at it is a good price when seeing the Costco example. I would want to know an estimated cost for rims, mount and balance too, as a minimum (guess) estimate you'll likely be about 4 x $60 = $240, $540 total, your pushing over $500 and just wonder if you could have gotten a set delivered for a cost near this. I don't know, seems reasonable for the size tires I'd buy, your in a larger realm.

But my recent experience is just about that, $30 a used rim, $30 a used tire, and just about $30 mount and balance. Might be a little high on the mount and balance but my buddy works there...and next time I'll be thinking about new tires instead, there's less running around.

I seen this comment posted recently, never used them but it could offer some comparisons;
Tire Rack is your friend. Use it.

Just checked Tire Rack for my 2004 Sienna, 215/65/16, steel rims at $90 each, tires at $109 each; just under $800 total mount and balance included. There's a $80 discount for pick-up, so that leaves the total at $704.27, pick up being just over a hour drive one way.

Last edited:
I’ve sold used Winter tires before, changed trucks. I now have two that are getting kinda old, plan to just use them up, Blizzacks.

As long as they aren’t excessively old(date code), and the price is right, should be just fine. They sound pretty new, some shops balk at mounting tires over 7 years old or so. As winter tires get worn, just use them through the summer to use them up.

I have seen a lot of overpriced used tires because nobody factors in the profit/installation costs they paid that is never free. Then a $300 used set ends up costing $400.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of overpriced used tires because nobody factors in the profit/installation costs they paid that is never free. Then a $300 used set ends up costing $400.
You are correct, I usually start looking for wheels as soon as I buy a set of winter tires. I don't buy tpms though which might offend some people. I've bought a lot of used winter tires over the years with very good results. A lot of people buy new winter tires in the winter and turn around and buy a new car in the spring.

Back