Used ATF ISO Cleanliness Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen any data on the upper limit for ISO Cleanliness Codes for used ATF versus a realistic "ideal" code? I'm finding numbers that vary widely and also suspect each AT manufacturer would have a specific spec. I'd like to find an "industry standard" number. I've seen an upper number as high as about 20/17/12(c) and as low as about 18/13 using the old measurements. Still researching this but any other good numbers, or references to them, would be appreciated.

Email Blackstone and see what they regard as typical or expected. I think Ryan is the one to ask.

Spec's were hard to come by in print. I know that various pumps and materials work 'best' if the iso code is kept as low as possible. In manufacturing, we had different requirements for the seals, the pumps, the gears, the clutch material..... Hint, lowest is best. You won't see an 'iso' code on the back of any ATF bottle. But, you will see it on various equivalents used in manufacturing and industry.

Typical AT manufacturer data is hard to find unless you know someone working there. On 'industrial equipment', the ISO code, TAN, viscosity loss,.... were used to determine fluid replacement intervals. Any one spec failed, fluid was replaced. Had nothing to do with mileage or time.

Automakers use nothing but mileage and AT failure as points of ATF replacement.

Gary: Talked to Ryan already. He didn't have much. They don't do many particle count tests on ATF.

unDummy: What specs I do have are pretty close to hydraulic systems.

Have see some virgin specs of 16/17/15 for new ATF, but that number was quoted as "average" and not associated with a brand name.

In general, the numbers I have are probably OK but I'd like to add something attributable to the automatic transmission applications.

NTZ provides transmission bypass filters for Ford trucks. They have some studies/papers. You might want to contact them or search online for their papers.

Racor also has a 6micron ATF filter. They might have some ISO-goals of their ATF filter kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back