Used 4l80e Value

I have a used 4l80e from a 1997 2wd truck. The trucks body an interior was very rough. I bought for the engine. What is a fair value for the transmission???

Last edited:
Non LSx cores go for $200-$250, Though it will still work behind a LSx engine but is missing the 12 O'clock bolt boss.
For a good working one.....$400-$500. LSx cores & working units demand more.

I have a used 4l80e from a 1997 2wd truck. The trucks body an interior was very rough. I bought for the engine. What is a fair value for the transmission???
How many miles? Did you road test it? Is it still in the truck to test? I need one for a 1992 but probably wouldn't buy used without being able to drive first.

Can't imagine anyone would put it into another truck with those miles. If you were buying a reman, the core charge might be $300 or $400 but nobody will give you that much outright for it. A scrap yard might give $10-$15 depending on weight.

At that mileage (If original).....The Forward Clutches are likely about smoked, Which you likely couldn't tell without a loaded trailer. I can spot it everytime by the longer than normal forward engagement time.

Can't imagine anyone would put it into another truck with those miles. If you were buying a reman, the core charge might be $300 or $400 but nobody will give you that much outright for it. A scrap yard might give $10-$15 depending on weight.
I don’t really want to scrap it. I just was curious if it had any value. I’m not going to use it but someone out there probably could.

I got a transmission out of a 2013 Dart with 18,000 miles. Has a cracked plastic side cover. Easy to swap out. Been asking $150 on Craigslist, Facebook, Ebay for the last 3 years. Nothing. Got a transmission from a 2017 Spark. Trans cooler in the radiator broke and coolant mixed with transmission fluid. Car would move but I replaced it a year ago. Would be great for hard parts. The bell housing alone is more than twice the $100 I'm asking for it. I don't want to scrap them either.

I got a transmission out of a 2013 Dart with 18,000 miles. Has a cracked plastic side cover. Easy to swap out. Been asking $150 on Craigslist, Facebook, Ebay for the last 3 years. Nothing. Got a transmission from a 2017 Spark. Trans cooler in the radiator broke and coolant mixed with transmission fluid. Car would move but I replaced it a year ago. Would be great for hard parts. The bell housing alone is more than twice the $100 I'm asking for it. I don't want to scrap them either.

If you have been trying to sell something for three years, you are asking too much money for it.

When I'm asking $150 or $100 for a transmission, how much lower do I ask that isn't too much? When I had a good transmission advertised for $1200, people had no problem offering $300 or $400.

If you are trying to sell stuff for three years, and you aren't lowering the price on a regular basis, then you aren't serious about selling it.

$1200 for a used transmission is way too much, which is why you were getting those offers. Asking for more than what Crazy Ray's charges is the same as not wanting to sell it either.

If you are trying to sell stuff for three years, and you aren't lowering the price on a regular basis, then you aren't serious about selling it.

$1200 for a used transmission is way too much, which is why you were getting those offers. Asking for more than what Crazy Ray's charges is the same as not wanting to sell it either.
3 years for the $150 and $100 transmission. I ended up selling the good $1200 transmission for $1000 in 2 weeks. $1200 for a used transmission is pretty good when junk yards want over $1500.

When I'm asking $150 or $100 for a transmission, how much lower do I ask that isn't too much? When I had a good transmission advertised for $1200, people had no problem offering $300 or $400.
Depends on demand, If you have a low mileage CVT out of a 2013 Nissan Altima......NO problem selling that one because all the high mileage ones are broke.

4L80E's are hot because LSx engine swaps, Buildable 6.0L LSx engine CORES go for $1,000 easy.

Depends on demand, If you have a low mileage CVT out of a 2013 Nissan Altima......NO problem selling that one because all the high mileage ones are broke.

4L80E's are hot because LSx engine swaps, Buildable 6.0L LSx engine CORES go for $1,000 easy.
Actually the $1000 one was a 13 Versa. The $100 one I can't sell is from a Spark. Same exact transmission. I think the dealer and even junk yards add a $300-$500 core charge when you buy from them. So why can't I even get $100 outright from a rebuilder?

If it really is the exact same....Advertise it as such. But IF antifreeze mixed with the ATF.....It's basically JUNK after it sits for any length of time! I've rebuilt several Nissan (traditional) units because antifreeze contamination.
Not very many builders rebuild CVT units.

Core is just a FU charge because they know most won't return a core at the wreaking yard level, Remanufactured is a different story as they really do NEED the core back.

Back