Used 2014 Focus SE Hatchback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at one with 5 speed manual, appearance package, heated leather seats, rear disk brakes, and other upgrades. 10,000 miles on the odo. Do others have experience with the manual tranny?

Per my signature I have a 2015 with the 5 spd ecoboost. I thoroughly enjoy the car. Transmission is just right, fun to drive, they have soft touch materials in the right places, radio has good sound quality, right mix of options.

The 3 cylinder ecoboost really makes the car as it handles well, better performance and gas mileage is just silly good. But the eco option is hard to find in many markets.
Around town I get 38 mpg. At 75 mph I get 39 mpg, but at a steady 50 mph it gets 72-75 mpg. So you can get about any mpg you want depending on the speed you drive. Its like motorcycle mpg.

The only negatives are the car could use more sound proofing and the back seat is tight. Sometimes road noise is more that I would like, but that is common in this class.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Per my signature I have a 2015 with the 5 spd ecoboost. I thoroughly enjoy the car. Transmission is just right, fun to drive, they have soft touch materials in the right places, radio has good sound quality, right mix of options.

The 3 cylinder ecoboost really makes the car as it handles well, better performance and gas mileage is just silly good. But the eco option is hard to find in many markets.
Around town I get 38 mpg. At 75 mph I get 39 mpg, but at a steady 50 mph it gets 72-75 mpg. So you can get about any mpg you want depending on the speed you drive. Its like motorcycle mpg.

The only negatives are the car could use more sound proofing and the back seat is tight. Sometimes road noise is more that I would like, but that is common in this class.

I had a 14 focus s 5 speed
Bought it brand new had nothing but issues with it that car was in the shop 25 times in one year I traded it in with 20,000 miles on it for my dart and never looked back. That car was looked at with the engineers and they could never keep the a/c working and the front end from popping and clunking. The engine died on me twice the time I had it for a high pressure pump and they had to replace 2 injectors the other time. At 8,000 miles it had the timing cover revealed because it was leaking oil. The transmission was always working but was so noisy in neutral it was embarrassing. I actually had a girl at a mc Donald's drive through tell me my car sounded like a helicopter and I should get it checked. That's how loud the transmission was. They called it gear rollover rattle and it was considered normal. Some are worse than others though. That car was my very first new car purchase and was absolutely miserable to own. Thank god for my dart!

I have a '12 Focus with the 2.0 and 5 speed, I bought it used with 14k on it and now am at 36k. I love the car, combined city/highway I get 33-35mpg. I had to look for a while to find a used 5 speed though, pretty rare animal I guess. I think it could use a shorter throw shifter, but that would be more of a preference thing.

If the 2013 my wife had was a 5 speed manual, she'd still own it. This was the Titanium with the GDI 2.0 and was a nice car, except for the DCT 6 speed tranny. That was the deal killer.

The 5 speed manual has been around for 20 year now. The gearing on it is a bit awkward but it is quite reliable. The Ti-VCT engine has not had a lot of issues.

Rear discs would be nice
laugh.gif

I test drove a 2012 5 speed focus about 3 years ago. I really liked the car overall except being 6'0 and texan sized the entry/egress is awful.

Thanks all. I bought the car today as an extra for my family/teen driver. It has the rear disk brakes as part of one of the upgrade packages it came with... It took a while to find one with the appearance and winter packages that was a 5 speed manual... It's really fun to drive and should be good for zipping around town...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back