Used #131 to clean out intake, failed emissions with high CO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone...

Emissions Test here in Texas failed my baby today. Before I changed my oil this morning, I undid a vacuum line and used a bottle of Neutra to clean out the intake. Lots of white smoke, later dissipated; changed oil. I drove 20 miles to the testing station and failed the test.

Everything is good except carbon monoxide at low idle (706)...my reading was 1.97 and it needs to be 1.20

Any suggestions?

Prior to last year's test (my first with my RC) I did the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and it passed...only put on 8k during the year. I had also done the Auto-RX cleaning/rinsing cycle. Is another tune up in order? I will pull a plug when engine cools...just got back...

Thanks All!

uconn1150 ... what year vehicle and how many miles?

I'm not sure Neutra is/was the problem. Anyway, I'd never try what you did then get tested the same day. You never know what a serious cleaning might dislodge ... and how long the motor may take to completely pass it through the system.

Try dry gas (isopropyl alcohol) to clean things out s'more ... but your problem may be something other than fouling. Hard to say.

Ever have difficulty passing emissions before with the same vehicle?

boxcartommie22, the stuff is an ester ... which burn very cleanly as a class of compounds. Neutra has a very low flash point of around 100F. I have used almost a gallon of it in the gas tanks of various vehicles around here with no carbon/fouling issues at all. If anything, this stuff should be cleaning out pre-existing carbon deposits left by others.

What treat rate are you using? The recommended 0.5 - 1.0 per gallon (128oz.) should not give you any carbon build-up issues unless you were adding motor oil.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back