Use Gates PowerGrip Hose Clamps instead of OE Spring Clamps?

1667865445601.png

My sister's 05 Corolla could use some new radiator hoses (due to age) and the previous owner had already tossed the OE spring clamps. Are these PowerGrip clamps a true long-term alternative to the OE style clamps?

Toyota wants $50 for the 4 OE clamps so I am looking for a lower-priced alternative. I was warned that it is important to get the sizing "just right" or else these clamps have a tendency to tear after install.

Last edited:
how much are you saving? 20$? OE.
or find aftermarket spring style?

(shipping probably kills the deal there)
List is about $50 for all 4 clamps.

I've been meaning to improve my hose clamp inventory anyway, so this is an opportunity to do so - if these PowerGrip clamps will do the job.

I would buy OEM. Powergrip clamps have to be replaced when removed. Will you ever need to replace the radiator? OEM clamps are reusable. If you ever need to remove a radiator hose, you'll have to buy a Gates hose clamp removal tool to remove the clamp without damaging the hose. The tool costs $52. Or you can use a knife to cut off the clamp and risk damaging the hose. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gates-powergrip-hose-clamp-experience.1197694/

Last edited:
norma worm type is idiot proof
This, or the ABA clamps from ultimate garage, if you aren’t going OE or OE-style

The Euro worm clamps are an improvement over the USA worm clamps.

Last edited:
I have them on my LT1 96 Roadmaster wagon. Love them. Clean look, useful in tight places, no projections, no knuckle scrapping, conform to irregular shapes and grooved used hoses, no leaks after at least 10 years. Very nice with the restrictor and the tee on the heater hoses. Great with silicone hoses. Easy install, no special tool needed to remove.

Last edited:
What is the shadetree mechanic to do? I like ABA clamp (at least on pictures). But cannot justify buying 10 of each size on Amazon. Which seems to be how they are sold.

My Volvo Penta boat engine looks to be quality made in that they did not look for places to save nickels. Yet most of the clamps look to be normal SS worm clamps.

What is the shadetree mechanic to do? I like ABA clamp (at least on pictures). But cannot justify buying 10 of each size on Amazon. Which seems to be how they are sold.

My Volvo Penta boat engine looks to be quality made in that they did not look for places to save nickels. Yet most of the clamps look to be normal SS worm clamps.
Ultimategarage.com has them individually.

What if the entire circumference isn't easily accessible to apply heat to ? Does it matter ?

I replaced the heater hoses in my Suburban 100,000 miles ago. One of the original hoses had this big ugly metal crimp clamp on it. I used a Gates clamp on the new hose to clamp the hose to the barbed click connector. Been on there for another 100,000. Perfect.

What if the entire circumference isn't easily accessible to apply heat to ? Does it matter ?
Not a problem. Don't need to apply heat all around. If worried, use aluminum foil to act as a diverter. Doesn't take very long with a heat gun or even a hair dryer. Check the reviews. *****

Last edited:
I like the constant tension spring loaded worm type clamps if I can’t get oem. Most suppliers can get bags of them in what sizes you need. Got my last couple bags from Wurth

Never tried those gates styles.

Back