Use Copper Tubing with Mityvac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T automatic.

Does anyone know if the plastic (or vinyl?) tubing on the Mityvac that goes down the dipstick hole can be replaced with a small diameter copper tube without doing any damage to the vehicle or decreasing the effectiveness of the Mityvac? (I know the tubing size).

The rigid copper tube would not bend when the bottom of the oil pan is reached. I'm tempted to try this, but I don't know if there is anything that could be damaged by it.

Thanks,
Mike

I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. Seems like more of a hassle and mess to change the oil this way than just pulling the drain plug.

Mike,

Copper should be fine. You should have a straight shot from the dipstick hole down to the pan.

Is this the MightVac your using? http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7201.html

I have one of these and I find that the plastic tube is plenty firm enough. It has just enough flex but it won't bend sharply when it hits the pan.

I use mine for lazy man oil refresh on my automatic transmissions. I usually drop the pan and change the filter every 15K but every 5K I use the MightyVac and I'm able to pull exactly 4 quarts out of the pan via the dipstick hole (Ford 4R70W tranny).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back