Use a 12v fuel pump for gear/hydraulic oil?

Need to service our L8000 dump truck and some other equipment that don't have enough room to pour fluid in, and some of the transmissions/gearboxes take 4-5 gallons a piece. Have about 15 gallons total to do. Would a generic 12v fuel pump work to pull oil out of a bucket and pump it up into a transmission? Or would i be better off just spending a couple hundred bucks on an actual oil pump?

I don't know if a fuel pump would be up to the task of gear oil. Harbor Freight has a battery operated transfer pump for $12 that I would give a shot, or a multi-use transfer pump (operates like a bike tire pump) for $7

Bottle hand pumps are also commonly found at parts stores, but the one that I tried from O'Reilly was not up to the task of pumping 75w-140 and started leaking immediately

I would not think a fuel pump will move gear oil very well. I have tried a drill powered pump for diesel engine oil. It worked but wasn't worth the mess, IMO. I would look at a pail pump like this... 5 Gallon Pail Pump

just my $0.02

I would not think a fuel pump will move gear oil very well. I have tried a drill powered pump for diesel engine oil. It worked but wasn't worth the mess, IMO. I would look at a pail pump like this... 5 Gallon Pail Pump

just my $0.02
my 2 cents is thats alot of strokin it.. 400+ for 5 gallons.

I was suggesting
This or similar.
https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Guy-Republic-Fluid-Transfer/dp/B07NSB333K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1HWL2UNCALW26&keywords=automotive+fluid+pump+drill&qid=1647989933&sprefix=automotive+fluid+pump+dril,aps,83&sr=8-3
5 Gallons is alot to pump if it was 2-3quarts thats a different story.

need more info really for what is best for this specific purpose.

Back