Use 10W-20 as a replacement for XW-20 and XW-30 applications?

So, these two posts caught my attention:

This HPL product appears to be a highly-additized, monograde SAE20 with long-drain capabilities. Yes, the price is high since it is a "high-end," low volume boutique product that you would have to run 10-15K miles in order for the cost to be comparable to OTC options. It is probably best reserved for out-of-warranty applications as well.

If my understanding is correct, this oil should theoretically offer better wear protection than most xw-20 oils on the market since it uses a 8cst base oil with no VII. Most OTC xw-20 oils have a base oil viscosity in the 5-6 cst range. The heavier base oil viscosity in the HPL 10W-20 equates to improved dynamic viscosity, which can be beneficial for bearing wear under high loads. Based on the calculations in @Gokhan's spreadsheet, I think this product uses a heavier base oil than most 5W-30 oils. For this reason, I would think that it can also be used in place of an API SP/GF-6 SAE 5W-30 product.

Tell me if I'm mistaken, but I think this might be a good unicorn product that actually justifies its boutique pricing. I am normally not a fan of boutique oils, but this one has caught my attention.

Last edited:
I think you are in the right line of thought here.

I remember Shannow saying that a really well made 0w16 could be a oil that was all pretty much base oil with no VIIs or PPDs.

I think the HPL 10w20 could easily be what Shannow talked about in regards to the 0w16.

If my understanding is correct, this oil should theoretically offer better wear protection than most xw-20 oils...

Think you're going out of your way to split hairs for the sake of splitting hair.

Pops a better question to ask would be why you think that another Xw-20 HPL oil would not offer adequate wear protection point to where you would need to use a slightly different grade?

While I have always believed in the actual viscosity [between] the parts I will again say for 99% of our use of the vehicles the engines will usually outlast the chassis they are in with proper maintenance and a proper quality oil, of course barring mechanical problems. Pushing the limits is a perfect market for boutique oils though.

I would rather use their SAE 30 or 10W-30 in applications that call for a 30 grade.

I would have no problem using their 10W-20 for 20 grade applications. Seems to be a great product, along with the rest of their lineup.

Think you're going out of your way to split hairs for the sake of splitting hair.
Well, that's the whole point of boutiques, right?

Pops a better question to ask would be why you think that another Xw-20 HPL oil would not offer adequate wear protection point to where you would need to use a slightly different grade?
Fair point. I don't think any of their other products will deliver inadequate wear protection. However, the point of this exercise is to see if there is a "better" product for warm climates when cold temp performance is not a factor.

While I have always believed in the actual viscosity [between] the parts I will again say for 99% of our use of the vehicles the engines will usually outlast the chassis they are in with proper maintenance and a proper quality oil, of course barring mechanical problems. Pushing the limits is a perfect market for boutique oils though.
I'm aware, and that is why I am usually a proponent of using a major brand oil and changing it at shorter intervals. However, what fun is that? ;)

It is probably best reserved for out-of-warranty applications as well.
No, not really: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ted-ups-just-dropped-off-the-packages.355350/

Tell me if I'm mistaken, but I think this might be a good unicorn product that actually justifies its boutique pricing. I am normally not a fan of boutique oils, but this one has caught my attention.
@High Performance Lubricants makes excellent products, well worth their asking price. I can't say the same about some of the other boutique lubes I've tried or read about. In time I will transition all our vehicles to their products. What other blender makes Overkill 0W-20? ... For @OVERKILL, of course! That's a unique 0W-20 blend that no other blender makes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea. I like that it would be much more shear resistant. Maybe for port injection go longer.
But DI? I don't feel comfortable at all with going more that 2 k winter due to fuel dilution in my Mazda( >5%). So that removes the cost effectiveness of the boutique oil.
Also the soot concerns with DI, even with out shearing and maintaining a strong TBN , are extended or even normal ocis a good idea with DI considering soot?

In my non DI Hyundai Elantra,I am considering running hpl sae30. Which like 10w20, has no VII. According to HPL it's a 15w30. I might try a 15k run.

Last edited:
If my understanding is correct, this oil should theoretically offer better wear protection than most xw-20 oils on the market since it uses a 8cst base oil with no VII. Most OTC xw-20 oils have a base oil viscosity in the 5-6 cst range. The heavier base oil viscosity in the HPL 10W-20 equates to improved dynamic viscosity, which can be beneficial for bearing wear under high loads.
Depends on the HTHS and of course what max oil temperature and max extended engine RPM you plan on using it if you want to consider the HTFS aspect. Would probably take some pretty harsh engine use to push all considered xW-20 oils into a rare realm where a significant difference could be seen. And if that was the case, then going xW-30 is probably going to out perform the xW-20s. At some point it will take going up a viscosity grade or two to achieve the better protection in extreme use conditions.

If I needed a 20 grade oil, then HPL 10W20 would be at the top of my list. The idea of a full synthetic (Group IV & V), shear free monograde with a modern additive package has a lot of appeal to me.

A 10Wx oil is good down to 0F (-20c) for cold starting, which would also be enough for me.

The idea of a full synthetic (Group IV & V), shear free monograde with a modern additive package has a lot of appeal to me.
HPL 10W-20 uses Group III base oil. Not that it matters becauase they use high quality Group III, but I just wanted to clarify that for accuracy.

Good point, and thanks for clarifying, so as not to confuse others. I was more saying it does contain the higher Groups, which many budget synthetics do not.

BTW Group III and GTL base stock only comes in thinner viscosities such a 2, 4, and 6 cSt (KV100). The HPL 10W20 has a KV100 = 8.62 cSt, and with no VII polymer to thicken it up, it needs some of the higher Groups (IV / V) present.

Good point, and thanks for clarifying, so as not to confuse others. I was more saying it does contain the higher Groups, which many budget synthetics do not.

BTW Group III and GTL base stock only comes in thinner viscosities such a 2, 4, and 6 cSt (KV100). The HPL 10W20 has a KV100 = 8.62 cSt, and with no VII polymer to thicken it up, it needs some of the higher Groups (IV / V) present.
It's blended with ANs and Esters. It's very high quality, and it's on my "to try" list along with the HPL Overkill 0W-20. Of course, I don't want to talk out of place, so @High Performance Lubricants can offer more insight into this particular viscosity than I can.

Reactions: SR5
I have m1 0w-40 in now.
Good choice, it's very good stuff. I got a bunch of RL 5W-30 cheap, but will go back to M1 0W-40 in the Santa Fe soon aince I got 10 five quart jugs of it. It's a fuel diluting 3.3L V6 GDI engine. I'm in NC as well.

Back