USB Flash Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: racer12306
I understand as technology ages, it gets cheaper, but when did huge flash drives get so cheap?

PNY 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive for $44.99

PNY 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive for $99.99

When I click on the 1st link for 44.99, the Amazon page says $117. Maybe they realized their pricing mistake?

I just bought an SSD drive for my wife's laptop, but haven't installed it yet. Still trying to talk her into to using Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu/SSD at work, and, wow, what a pleasure.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
When I click on the 1st link for 44.99, the Amazon page says $117. Maybe they realized their pricing mistake?

It's the 256GB version that's $117. You need to click on the 128GB version icon after the page loads.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

It's the 256GB version that's $117. You need to click on the 128GB version icon after the page loads.

Ah. Thanks.

Its not really that cheap. You could get a full blown 128GB or 256GB ssd that are 5x+ faster for nearly the same price.

Same type of technology.

I do like the fact that 16GB are near 10-15$

8GB are just about perfect for installer drives too.. and usually around 6-8$

It all depends what you use these USB drives for.

Streaming video it seems to make no difference in 2.0 vs 3.0. Just moving the files if you are in hurry.

I don't have the greatest luck with flash drives. I had two 32 GB flash drives die within the past 6 months and they're used about once or twice a week on average. I do like the idea of the 128 GB drive but I'm hesitant.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I don't have the greatest luck with flash drives. I had two 32 GB flash drives die within the past 6 months and they're used about once or twice a week on average. I do like the idea of the 128 GB drive but I'm hesitant.

Ditto. Even my "good" flash drives tend to corrupt data over a period of a few months (6-12). Don't know why, manufacturer doesn't seem to matter (no telling what brand the actual flash memory is). I use them all the time in my business (computer repair) and most times they don't have data on them for more than a couple of weeks. When they get misplaced, or unused, that is when you notice things. Whenever I save data to a flash drive, intended to be a backup, generous .par files are a must.

Some of yall have some bad luck. I have flash drives that are 10+ years old. They aren't the fastest and they aren't the largest so they can't be used like a modern flash drive would, but they definitely still work. I believe they are Sandisks and Lexars.

Oh, they still work, but the data gets corrupted. I have at least 4 flash drives here in front of me, from 8 to 32 gigs, that tend to be problem children. Short term, great. Long term, not so much.

Last edited:
I have a 4 GB and a 32 GB.. I used the 4 GB as a boot drive. Well one day it just stopped booting for some reason.. Still works great for everything else...

Originally Posted By: punisher
Oh, they still work, but the data gets corrupted. I have at least 4 flash drives here in front of me, from 8 to 32 gigs, that tend to be problem children. Short term, great. Long term, not so much.

Wow, you do have some bad luck. I have multiple brand flash drives (over 20) from the last decade and I have only had one give me some intermittent issues.

Knock on wood.....

Originally Posted By: Zeus33
Originally Posted By: punisher

Wow, you do have some bad luck. I have multiple brand flash drives (over 20) from the last decade and I have only had one give me some intermittent issues.

Knock on wood.....

I wish I could say the same thing. I have two flash drives now, one of them is less than 6 months old that is bad. OTOH I've had very good luck with both internal and external hard drives over the years. Two of my computers are in use all day long. I had one hard drive fail since my IBM PS-1 days, and it gave me fair warning. I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back