USA toyota lies about oil viscosity for 2GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, i had RAV with 3.5L V6 2GR-FE engine for several years and just realized the oil USA toyota tells you to use all the time (5W30 or 0W20 for newer cars) is unsuitable to use during summer while outside USA.

this is thanks to a post by member dkrivosheyev:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3730861/Re:_0-W20_to_5-W30_swtich#Post3730861

it clearly shows 5W30 is only good up to 10 Celsius and 10W30 or higher is needed above 10C. this russian toyota info is current (MY 2015).

i went ahead and googled some more and found the same info for 2GR-FE from australia toyota (MY2014):

Oil%20Spec.jpg

I pity the person that lives in an area where the anticipated temperature has only a high of 10C (50F) for the next OCI.

UOA are fine. but i developed a piston slap-like noise after a dealer serviced it with 5W20 (they discontinued 5W30 oils at that dealership at that time). after that, i suspected there was something fishy with the whole thing toyota oil viscosity business. the early 2GR-FE also had problems with VVT ticking and eventually exploding. not sure if oil related.

what's wrong with 5w30 above 50F?

Also, Toyota Canada even says it's ok to retroactively use 5w20/0w20 as far back as 20 years in most cases!

How do you plan to drive your Toyota to Russia to make this relevant? LOL

And why isn't the information in Russia a lie and not the US info?

Yep I was reading last night about someone over here using 20w50 in his near new Aurion/Avalon with the 3.5 to prevent the famous piston slap which worked for him.
Everyone was laying into him saying it was too thick and I would agree but he insisted 20w50 was recommended in the manual and by Toyota when he rang.
Still seems weird in a new Toyota though!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
what's wrong with 5w30 above 50F?

Also, Toyota Canada even says it's ok to retroactively use 5w20/0w20 as far back as 20 years in most cases!

that's exactly the problem. each division of toyota have different ideas what oil should be used. my hypothesis is the US/canadian recommendations are not exactly what the 2GR-FE engineers had in mind.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

And why isn't the information in Russia a lie and not the US info?

well, you tell me. how about the Aussie version then?

5w20 works well here in the us. I see a lot of engines still running on 5w20.. I don't know if engines last longer in other countries or if they last longer here.. I use 5w20 in engines we rebuild that require 5w20 with no problem. Why do you think usa Toyota is the one that lies? Maybe its hard to find 5w20 in some places oversees.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
5w20 works well here in the us. I see a lot of engines still running on 5w20.. I don't know if engines last longer in other countries or if they last longer here.. I use 5w20 in engines we rebuild that require 5w20 with no problem. Why do you think usa Toyota is the one that lies? Maybe its hard to find 5w20 in some places oversees.

5w20 is available here, I've even seen 0w16 about. But it's only in the US and Canada where 0/5w20 is recommended by many manufacturers, probably thanks to CAFE. H*ll even 5w30 isn't recommended in this engine over here unless you live in our cooler climate zones and short trip only.
I would probably just use 10w30/40 if I owned this engine and if I lived in a colder climate then probably a 0/5w30/40
Toyota don't even recommend 20 weights in this engine in Russia!

Oil temperature is speed related, oil temperature rise with speed. In Europe, especially in Germany, a car can be driven at much higher speed than in North America, therefore oil grade is needed to be thicker to be able to withstand oil temperature north of 140-150C. Here we drive mostly 75-85 MPH, oil temperature is mostly around 100-110C or lower, therefore lighter weight is okay. xW30 at 100C is thicker than 15W40 at 140C and no thinner than 20W50 at 140C.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd be more worried about using 20w50 than 0w20.

That seems to be a contagious mental disease that I'm immune to for some reason.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I use 5w20 in engines we rebuild that require 5w20 with no problem.

And the reason for rebuilding?

Piston slap is a very common problem over some places ...

Here, everybody uses tickier oils (10w40 15w40) and piston slap is pretty much a rare occurrence. It can manage some hard driving and performance abuses better than a watery 5w20, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back