USA new Castrol 5W-40 made in Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found at Olympic Imported Auto Parts in the DC metro area, either black on red / red on white weight stamp on the front label. Imported for USA/Canada, made in Belgium on the back. A3/B3 and the rest like 0W-30. Sneak peek under the cap, wasn't as green as 0W-30.

Funny they weren't carrying the 0W-30, just that and the 5W-30. You also get a discount with your SCCA/BMWCCA/PCA card.

[ November 25, 2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Gary ]

How much? I am looking for a summer oil to make my GC stash last longer. Will they send me some BC?

Is the 5w-40 an overall new oil in the Syntec line?

The way the Syntec webpage is organized, it makes me think the 5w-40 is a very recent addition. And that leads me to hope it will show up at the Usual Suspects.

ferb!

Syntec 5W-40 has been out for years. All VW dealers carry it. They have to use this weight on their TDI's. The list price is $6.78 a quart.
thumbsdown.gif

Try parts.com Click VW and then click Rey Reece VW. They sell it for about $5.25 a quart. I forgot the VW part number though.

SAE 5W-40: is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Corvette GM 4718M, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils

VW started supplying this oil to dealerships in 1999 to use in the TDI diesels. The 5w-30 Castrol syntec they were using didn't meet the ACEA B4 or VW 505.00 specifications listed in TDI owners manuals ...
shocked.gif

Too bad there isn't a lube version of Trivial Pursuit ...
frown.gif

Tooslick

Tsoa

I was buying this stuff for my 00 Golf 1.8T. It said made in Belgium on the bottle.

*Meets GM 4781M*

Now this is getting interesting. 5W40 meets this while traditionalists isolate there thinking to the 10W30 and 5W30 grades for this rating.

However more interesting, upon reading a new found bottle of GC 0w30 I do not recall seeing GN 4718M.

I do know that it is omitted from Castrol Shamtec bottles altogether.

quote:

Originally posted by Finklejag:
[Q] Syntec 5W-40 has been out for years. All VW dealers carry it. They have to use this weight on their TDI's. The list price is $6.78 a quart.
thumbsdown.gif

Try parts.com Click VW and then click Rey Reece VW. They sell it for about $5.25 a quart. I forgot the VW part number though. [/Q]

www.forparts.com Olympic had it for $4.99, same as the others.

quote:

Syntec 5W-40 has been out for years. All VW dealers carry it. They have to use this weight on their TDI's. The list price is $6.78 a quart.

That is the US-made stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back