USA Liquid Measure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a head's up for Canadian home cooks and bakers. Remember USA cup quantity

is 240 ml and Canadian is 250 ml.

I was always using the Canadian size and using more dry ingredients in my baking.

Never pulled the dough off the bowl of my stand mixer as the video showed.

Dang.

Not to the extent shown in most videos. It always needed more flour. More than 1 or 2

Tspns. Never quite got it all.

I've been home baking for decades and it just came to me recently why it wasn't

grabbing as shown.

I'll be 89 next month. Slow learner.

Yup. US cup is 8 fl oz, which is about 237 ml.

When I look at some of the recipes from Europe, they talk about a glass, which would be 250 ml.

Life is easier when you go metric
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Olas
wink.gif

Isn't there a movement to revert back in the UK?

Or, gasp,,imagine using "stones" when talking about mass !
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
grin2.gif

Well "stone" is weight not mass. Units of mass would be slugs
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Olas
wink.gif

Isn't there a movement to revert back in the UK?

grin2.gif

There are several conflicting movements at the moment, understandably so.
There are militant metricists, immovable imperialists, and ultra-liberal fence-sitting "let them measure how they want"ers

Officially and legally, we changed to Metric 50ish years ago. Most of the time we honour it but we still have road signs posted in miles, and anybody over the age of 30ish weighs themselves in stones.
We buy litres of petrol but we measure miles per gallon.
We buy litres of water/milk/orange juice/but we buy pints of beer (all other alcohol is metric but beer remains imperial
We measure deck height in MM but we skim in thousandths of inches...

fractions are all well and good until you need to work out 1/530 of a gallon, or 69/829 of a hundredweight, fractions fall apart quite easily but its always super-simple to add another zero or remove another zero because the 10x table is so easy.

When we have ten fingers it makes sense to count everything in multiples of ten, no?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Drosselmier
About 10 ml less than Imp measure as once used before Metric became standard here.

Actually Canada doesn't use metric, but decimal. They may say that they use metric, but the way it's used is nothing like what I studied in school when I was young in Europe.
In metric the base is the Meter, we used cm (centimeters) and only when doing very very small stuff did we use mm (millimeters) In Canada today most stuff is calculated in mm, so they say we're going to get 20mm of rain, in EU we would have said we're going to get 2cm, same thing for length. When I came over I had to learn the imperial system and when they changed I had to learned the new system as it wasn't applied in the same way as in EU. I don't know what hey are doing there these day, may the same thing as us.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
... Units of mass would be slugs
wink.gif

Umm ... yeah, that's what I was taught in high school physics long ago, with the corresponding force unit being pounds. (College physics pretty much ignored non-metric units.) However, the pound mass is defined as exactly 453.59237 grams. Therefore the definition of a pound force (in Newtons) depends on the value you choose for g.

Originally Posted by kschachn
grin2.gif

Well "stone" is weight not mass. Units of mass would be slugs
wink.gif

Stone is usually used to describe mASSive weight of a person.

I used it because I really enjoy watching "The Nutcracker" at Christmas season.

Drosselmier is the clocker and the narrator of the story. There is a lot fine entertainment

in this Ballet. Children enjoy it. They get excited. If it is televised next season, give it a

look, or see it live if playing near your town. You won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back