US valvoline synpower vs European synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I have bin reading a lot of threads about VAlvoline synpower. With big interest because I use it in my own car. I believe it is a good choise for my car. Synpower is for several reasons not very popular here on bigot.

when Looking at datasheets for some synpower oil. I realized the US synpower and synpower sold in Europe are not the same.

US synpower 5w-30

Test 5W-30
Vis @ 100°C (cSt)10.7

Vis @ 40°C (cSt) 59.5

Viscosity Index 172

Spec Gravity @ 60°F 0.847

Density(lbs/gal)7.06

Total Base No. 8.7

Flash COC (°C) 223

Pour Point (°C)-42

CCS cP (°C) 4300 @ -30

MRV TP-1 cP (°C) 18,000@-35

NOACK, wt. % loss 10.0

Sulfated Ash 0.93

Zinc/Phosphorus, wt.% 0.083/0.076

Sodium, wt% 0.049

Calcium, wt% 0.211

European synpower

SAE Viscosity Grade 5W-30

Viscosity, mm2/s @ 100 ºC. ASTM D-445 11.9

Viscosity, mm2/s @ 40 ºC. ASTM D-445 71

Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270 165

Viscosity, mPa.s –30°C. ASTM D-5293
TBN, mg KOH/g ASTM D-2896 10.2

Pour Point, ºC ASTM D-5950 -42

Specific Gravity @ 15.6°C. ASTM D-4052 0.854

Flash Point, PMCC, ºC. ASTM D-93 206

Wich one do you bitbogers think is the best?

I can see the tbn is higher in the euro versio n. Is it good for long drain use?

Thanks all

Søren

The European stuff is a completely different animal, and meets different specifications (ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB Sheet 229.3, etc.). It's sold as "Vollsynthetisches" in Germany, meaning it's a true synthetic and not Group III.

The Euro version that you have is probably a true synthetic and does have slightly higher TBN. High TBN does not always mean longer drains but it can help . Synpower is a great oil, this bigot/bitboger would use with confidence...lol

Couldnt help it.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
The Euro version that you have is probably a true synthetic and does have slightly higher TBN. High TBN does not always mean longer drains but it can help . Synpower is a great oil, this bigot/bitboger would use with confidence...lol

Couldnt help it.

Hehe..my fault. Dident even see my bad spelling before now . It,s not always easy writing English on a Danish language phone

Actually I am not using the synpower 5w-30 but the synpower 5-30 FE. It carries the acea a5/b5 my engine requires.

I simply chose the ordinary 5w-30 as a comparison tool. Because the 5-30 FE apparently is,ent made in a US version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
The European stuff is a completely different animal, and meets different specifications (ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB Sheet 229.3, etc.). It's sold as "Vollsynthetisches" in Germany, meaning it's a true synthetic and not Group III.

For the one whose specs we see above your post, I'm going to guess that's an A5/B5. Isn't a TBN of 10.2 too low for A3/B4? It's higher than a normal SN/GF-5 synthetic, but fits right in with an SN/GF-5 A5/B5 synthetic.

Yeah, those two oils cannot be compare, bcs they are manufactured for different cars.
On TBN issue, no 10.2 i not too low for A3/B3/B4.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Wich one do you bitbogers think is the best?

It's not a question of which one is the best. They are two different products for different applications. If your car calls for an oil meeting API SN / ILSAC GF-5 / dexos1 spec, then the US Synpower is the "best". It's specifically designed with low HT/HS to be energy conserving.

On the other hand, if your car calls for ACEA A3/B4 or some of the Euro mfg specs that are baselined off it (BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, or VW 502.00), then the high HT/HS Euro Synpower is the "best."

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

For the one whose specs we see above your post, I'm going to guess that's an A5/B5. Isn't a TBN of 10.2 too low for A3/B4? It's higher than a normal SN/GF-5 synthetic, but fits right in with an SN/GF-5 A5/B5 synthetic.

The tbn of the a5/b5 approved synpower fe is 10.1

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That Euro Synpower 5w-30 posted above is an A3/B4 oil...

My mistake. I thought that A3/B4 had a higher minimum TBN than that, but but I was off.

Yep, I should have remembered that. I was just thinking of an example or two of the A3/B4 ones that had significantly higher TBN than the minimum, along with a couple A5/B5 ones in North America that also significantly above the minimum, rather than thinking of the minimums themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back