US Postal Service out of money Oct 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: The Critic

At least FedEx ground has detailed tracking information.

You want to pay $2.30 for sending just a letter by ground?

Fed-X must be a better value, they are a non-union shop while UPS and USPS are union shops.

They are. 99% of the time they are quicker, cheaper and deliver the package in better condition then UPS.

Plus if you have a request they will help you where as UPS requires a delivery attempt BEFORE they will even talk to you.

Fed-Ex is a better run and operated company in my book.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Fed-Ex is a better run and operated company in my book.

Depends on your location. In my neck of the wood FedEx manage to lost a Celling Fan that I want to return. I'm talking about a 30-40lb box that is about 3' x 1.5' x 1.5'.

Both UPS and FedEx just dump the package off my front door, and take a calculated risk that it won't get stolen. I think they probably figure that the amount of stolen items are not as expensive as their drivers ringing the door bell and ask for signatures.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: andyd
I'm totally satisfied with the USPS. Recently I sent a tee shirt across country for $3.69 including the packaging. It got there in 4 days. Why is it everybody wants everyone else to work for peanuts and no bennies?

Why is it that you only spent $3.69 to send it? If the USPS is out of money more or less, then obviously it cost more than $3.69 to send... Therein is the problem. The satisfaction provided came at a price...

Exactly. The reason the USPS is "competitive" on small parcels is that they're losing money on every one they carry. Likely the same problem with bulk mail.

Up the charges to cover the real costs of those services and the problem goes away.

I heard on KCBS radio's interview with the post master general a few months ago, that the reason for the USPS problem is not the packages business (i.e. priority parcel, delivery confirmation, etc).

It is..... retired employee and legacy costs, just like the big 3 auto, and the first class letter mail (non package).

Junk mail delivery is profitable also.

I think the cost of first class mail should be in the range of 60-70 cents. No where in the world you can mail a letter more than 6k miles (from NY to Hawaii) for 44 cents.

The problem is USPS can not raise the cost of stamp as they see fit, they need approval from Congress. Getting approval from Congress is not easy.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Maybe they can find a loophole, like requiring two stamps for long distance.

Oh no, someone will complain that they are bailing out the rest of the nation on their money, and it isn't fair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think the cost of first class mail should be in the range of 60-70 cents. No where in the world you can mail a letter more than 6k miles (from NY to Hawaii) for 44 cents.

Can get from anywhere in Oz to anywhere in Oz for 55c Oz

With the exception of Hawaii and maybe Alaska ...

I don't think this is the same one that XS650 produced ...

australia-vs-usa.jpg

Their population centers may be more compressed ..but we've got plenty of sparsely populated areas too

Domestic postage rates apply also to the American Virgin Islands, Guam, Marshall Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, Micronesia, Palau, Puerto Rico, APO, FPO, and all PO boxes. I ship to Guam all the time for ridiculously little postage.

Exactry. Those guys and the Puerto Rican fellows like their chick magnet bikes. Still waiting for our first order from Northern Mariana Islands, but Germany came through finally today! $39 for a 15# box there though (vs. $9.80 for Northern Mariana Islands) UPS and Fredex can't touch this.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Domestic postage rates apply also to the American Virgin Islands, Guam, Marshall Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, Micronesia, Palau, Puerto Rico, APO, FPO, and all PO boxes. I ship to Guam all the time for ridiculously little postage.

With the exclusion of the APO/FPO, these are US protectorates.

I guess postal service is like gasoline prices at the pump. The real costs are attached elsewhere.

I heard on KCBS radio's interview with the post master general a few months ago, that the reason for the USPS problem is not the packages business (i.e. priority parcel, delivery confirmation, etc).

It is..... retired employee and legacy costs, just like the big 3 auto, and the first class letter mail (non package).

Junk mail delivery is profitable also.

He sounds like a person from the auto industry. "We're running a profit! if we exclude a major portion of our expenses, those that we incurred decades ago but are now coming due."
LOL.gif
And also like the auto industry, we see the conclusion of yet another pyramid scheme.

But don't worry. We can fix this if we just hire a lot of new postal workers and have them pay into the retirement accounts currently providing for the former workers.

That's bound to work!
LOL.gif

I find it hard to believe that junk (bulk) mail is somehow profitable but first class is not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsharp

He sounds like a person from the auto industry. "We're running a profit! if we exclude a major portion of our expenses, those that we incurred decades ago but are now coming due."
LOL.gif
And also like the auto industry, we see the conclusion of yet another pyramid scheme.

But don't worry. We can fix this if we just hire a lot of new postal workers and have them pay into the retirement accounts currently providing for the former workers.

That's bound to work!
LOL.gif

I find it hard to believe that junk (bulk) mail is somehow profitable but first class is not.

Depends on how much they pay to deliver the junk mail, and whether they need to transport by air or was delivered to the post office locally.

Since auto industry is so similar to the USPS, why don't we just bankrupt them also and let them get out of debt free?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
But anywhere in Oz to anywhere in Oz is much shorter than anywhere in US to anywhere in US

and here there be dragons.

Depends on how much they pay to deliver the junk mail, and whether they need to transport by air or was delivered to the post office locally.

Since auto industry is so similar to the USPS, why don't we just bankrupt them also and let them get out of debt free?

Yeah, but won't we need to give them a few $ Billion first, then sign over 1/2 of the organization to the union?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back