US oil quality/cost question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,
I was asked by a friend of mine, who’s attempting to export relatively inexpensive oil from the US, for his 5 unit oil-change locations in Tbilisi, Georgia, to identify the quality of the brands he got price quotes on:
1.“Coastal” and “Lubriguard” by Warren
2.“American Eagle” by Marathn Petroleum
3.Pinnacle Oil (I think their brand name is "National")
4.“Auto Club”
5.“Napa Oil”
I would highly appreciate any feedback on this subject and if anybody can suggest any other brands with high quality, yet affordable. Thanks.

Is that Napa oil or NAPA oil? If that's NAPA, as in the oil sold at NAPA stores, then that oil is made by Ashland who also makes Valvoline, and is very similar to Valvoline in additives and quality. Ashland claims the two are similar but that Valvoline uses a slightly higher quality additive package, and VOAs have shown the two to be extremely similar. The few UOAs I've seen have shown NAPA oil to be extremely competitive even when compared to oils at a higher price point then it. I personally wouldn't hesitate to put NAPA oil in any of my vehicles.

But that's all assuming it's NAPA oil, as in the oil sold through NAPA stores.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Is that Napa oil or NAPA oil? If that's NAPA, as in the oil sold at NAPA stores, then that oil is made by Ashland who also makes Valvoline, and is very similar to Valvoline in additives and quality. Ashland claims the two are similar but that Valvoline uses a slightly higher quality additive package, and VOAs have shown the two to be extremely similar. The few UOAs I've seen have shown NAPA oil to be extremely competitive even when compared to oils at a higher price point then it. I personally wouldn't hesitate to put NAPA oil in any of my vehicles.

But that's all assuming it's NAPA oil, as in the oil sold through NAPA stores.

How is Napa not NAPA? Thats just fecicious.

Just found out that Marathon Petroleum buys oil from Pinnacle, who's brand is "National". So it is basically the same thing.
There are 168 licenses issued in the US for the production of engine oil and there are nearly twice as many brand names.

found one scary info on JobbersWorld:

"WAL-MART SETTLES CONSUMER PROTECTION CASE FOR $357,800.00

Shasta County District Attorney Jerry Benito announced that his office joined with the District Attorneys of Monterey, Napa, Solano and Sonoma Counties to settle a consumer protection case filed against Wal-Mart, the makers of "Wal-Mart SuperTech Gear Oil", and their manufacturer, Warren Distribution. The initial investigation arose out of inspections of Wal-Mart SuperTech Gear Oil by Shasta County Weights and Measures, Petroleum Division officials. Investigators found that the gear oil did not meet the advertised viscosity levels, in violation of California law. The investigation broadened, and the prosecutors joined forces to undertake statewide legal action to eradicate the problem. Wal-Mart's SuperTech gear oil is made by Warren Distribution, a Nebraska corporation.
Wal-Mart and Warren cooperated with prosecutors during the investigation and agreed to undertake additional testing procedures in order to comply with the law. Under the terms of the settlement, without admitting any wrongdoing, Wal-Mart, Inc., agreed to pay $257,800.00 in civil penalties, $75,000.00 to reimburse the costs of the investigation and prosecution, and $25,000.00 in restitution for a total settlement of $357,800.00.

Approximately 5000 bottles of the non-compliant oil was sold in California. Gear oil is primarily used in heavy machinery and large trucks. It is unknown if any engines were damaged by the bad oil, but it is likely that, given California's overall mild climate compared with the rest of the United States, no actual damage was done to any Californian's machinery, as any damage would likely occur only in extreme hot or cold temperatures."

Not all lubricants are good even when they meet API or ILSAC requirements

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
How is Napa not NAPA? Thats just fecicious.

Naw, I just wanted to make sure that I was discussing the right thing. Napa is an area in California, NAPA is an organization/auto parts store. I just wanted to make sure I was discussing the right oil so that I wouldn't be misinforming anyone.

I hope that blurb for clarification didn't distract from the information being conveyed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back