US News Ranks Most Satisfying Cars to Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Survey: Cadillac Owners Most Satisfied with Their Purchase

Would you recommend your car to a friend? Of course, we'd encourage you to conduct more thorough research before investing tens of thousands in a new car - we can even recommend a good website - but millions of Americans do ask friends, neighbors and co-workers "how do you like your new car?" when considering purchase. Auto industry research firm Auto Pacific did the same, asking 25,000 new car owners whether they were satisfied with their recent purchase. The result?

In a press release, the company writes, "For the second straight year, Cadillac ranks highest among new car owners, taking the Highest Satisfaction Brand honors even with the turmoil surrounding General Motors and the industry as a whole." Hyundai won the "Rising Star" award for the biggest jump, leaping over 11 other brands to sit in the top five for the first time.

The results come from a survey that, according to Auto Pacific, considers "48 separate categories that objectively measure the ownership experience."

If you're looking to buy the specific vehicle that leaves customers most satisfied, be prepared to part with some cash. Motor Trend reports, "The vehicle gaining the most satisfied customers for MY2009 was the Lexus LS series sedan, which bested the industry average by 99 points. Top truck or SUV honors went to the Cadillac Escalade."

The full list of winners is below, though, reading it, we'd quarrel with some of Auto Pacific's categories. The Hyundai Sonata is a premium midsize car while the Ford Fusion is just a midsize car? The Scion tC is sporty?

PASSENGER CARS

Premium Luxury Car: Lexus LS

Aspirational Luxury Car: Hyundai Genesis

Luxury Large Car: Lincoln Town Car

Luxury Mid-Size Car: Lexus ES

Premium Mid-Size Car: Hyundai Sonata

Mid-Size Car: Ford Fusion

Image Compact Car: Toyota Prius

Compact Car: Mitsubishi Lancer

Economy Car: Honda Fit

Sports Car: Porsche 911

Sporty Car: Scion tC

LIGHT TRUCKS

Large Pickup: Dodge Ram 1500

Compact Pickup: Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Luxury Sport Utility: Cadillac Escalade

Large Sport Utility: Chevrolet Tahoe

Premium Mid-Size Sport Utility: Ford Explorer

Mid-Size Sport Utility: Jeep Liberty

Luxury Crossover SUV: Land Rover LR2

Large Crossover SUV: Mazda CX-9

Premium Mid-Size Crossover SUV: Toyota Venza

Mid-Size Crossover SUV: Volkswagen Tiguan

Compact Crossover SUV: Kia Sportage

Minivan: Toyota Sienna

If you're in the market for a new car, check out the U.S. News rankings of this year's best cars as well as this month's best car deals.

Link

CR does something similar, and I always find it interesting. As much as I care that x percent of radio knobs fall of, the acid test as to weather it's a good car or not is if you'd buy another (or what percent of owners would).

It's also interesting that it's usually around 80% at the high end, even in relatively niche market cars like the S2000 or Prius or Mini Cooper, and still 40% at the low end, in just horrible cars I can hardly even believe anyone would buy. I'd think there'd be some 90+ %'ers and some in the low single digits.

I always wonder what metric is used to calculate a winner. I mean, how many people actually own a Mitsubishi Lancer, Toyota Venza, or VW Tiguan? Not as many as other more popular models. So, if they get 5 owners and all say they like and recommend them, does that give the car 100% approval rating and a #1 spot on their list?

There sure a lot of categories on that list! What is an "aspirational" luxury car? Some sort of wannabe? And the "image" compact car, what is that exactly? And all those SUV categories makes my head spin.

Makes me feel good my fiancee got an 09 Fit recently. Bash Honda all you want (I've done my fair share), but that little, er, not-so-little rolling cavern is a fine-driving car with a very functional interior at a price most of us can afford.

Kudos to Honda for having the right car at the right time at about the right price.

Being a Hyundai fanboy [sic if needed], I'm gratified to see the Genesis and Sonata on the list.

And yes, I'd consider a 4 cylinder Fusion in a heartbeat.

Lots of good cars out right now. If you can get one.

Originally Posted By: css9450
And the "image" compact car, what is that exactly?

Ever happen to see the episode of "South Park" that was entitled "Smug Alert"?

If you had, you wouldn't be asking why a Prius won the "Image" Compact Car category.

I have never heard of an "Image Compact Car"

the people who buy and drive a Toyota Prius are not trying to have an Image, just save gas.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

the people who buy and drive a Toyota Prius are not trying to have an Image, just save gas.

I guess you haven't met many Prius owners.

Seconded. I had a Prius owner almost get in a fight with me at a gas station because my car at the time shot a single puff of oil smoke out when I shut the car down.

Why is my car not on that list?
36.gif

I would buy a Sonata/Genesis, they are a lot of car for the money IMO. If they are half as good as my Santa Fe has been I would be thrilled.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: css9450
There sure a lot of categories on that list! What is an "aspirational" luxury car? Some sort of wannabe? And the "image" compact car, what is that exactly? And all those SUV categories makes my head spin.

True that. They missed the Aspirational Pickup Truck category...

Quote:
The Hyundai Sonata is a premium midsize car...

I agree the Sonata is a good car, but I share the sentiments of the author that it isn't a premium mid-size.

I mean, in the non-aspirational compact the Fit dominates everything else. I sat in a Yaris at a recent auto show and waited at least 30 seconds for the punchline. The Versa I rented was a bit better, but not "fun" by anything other than the standard rental car shakanery.

Aspirational Midsize to me would be the Maxima, TSX, Passat. Anything midsize over 30k without a premium badge (sorry Acura). I'm not sure what you're aspiring to in a Sonata? To get to work more efficiently? To hope your parents buy you a better car next time? That your next kid doesn't scream so much? It can't be to buy a Genesis next time, as that's aspirational itself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

crackmeup2.gif

I'm sorry, I just couldn't hold that in....
grin2.gif

I have no problem with people wanting a green image car. The problem I have is when I am poking along on the interstate, sweating it out and trying to conserve as much as possible....and then some Prius owner zips by me at 85-90 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back