US Military Spec Oil for Desert Conditions

When I was in Iraq, when we got our LOGPAC it usually had 55 gallon drums of Shell 15w40 or Delo 15w40. It never had any NSN number or any special “military“ label...just looked like the same barrels that are in every diesel service shop in the country.

Last edited:
Hearing more about the 0W-20 arctic oil would be interesting - Emery was one of the early inventors/makers of synthetic oils for the military in the late 1960’s/early 1970’s. They are mentioned in that Popular Science article from then.

Would be interesting to know if it is the same formulation. It was a Diester or PAO based oil, not a group 3 like most are today. Do they still use an ‘old school’ formula for it?

My curiousity is what would artic spec would be.
I have two 33cid chysler 4cld boxers, 3600rpm gen motors.
I was going to run hdeo sae30 or 15w-40, std'd for summer
lost for winter

=harvey

It's a matter of the public record who bids and supplies oil or practically any government contract. Just like it's no secret who builds the Virginia class submarines. None of this is secret squirrel stuff. The hot sauce contract is Texas Pete. 5.56 mm ammo is Lake City Armory. The reason specs are published is to solicit bidders.
Lake City Army Ammunition Plant is a US Government Facility.

But, the contractor that operates it is Olin Corp.

Just wondering, what does the US military spec for motor oil for their diesel Humvees in Desert conditions? Do they use one brand exclusively?

From the 1993 Army manual:

"Oil should be changed about twice as often under desert conditions as under US or European conditions, not only because grit accumulates in the oil pan, but also because noncombusted low-octane fuel seeps down the cylinder walls and dilutes the reservoir. Diluted lubricants cool less effectively, and evaporate at the higher temperatures generated during engine operation. Oil changes and lubrication of undercarriage points at more frequent intervals will prolong engine and vehicle life under desert conditions. Units employed in desert environments should reevaluate their engine oil requirements and plan accordingly."

Back