US Military Spec Oil for Desert Conditions

Just wondering, what does the US military spec for motor oil for their diesel Humvees in Desert conditions? Do they use one brand exclusively?

E50D8180-C1EF-4002-9D0C-5C1EEECB509D.png

Last edited:
I had heard that Safety Kleen had the contract to provide lubricants to the military but that was a while ago and they may not be the only ones.

We see the 15w-40 in 55 gallon tan drums. Manufacturers are different. I guess its the lowest bidder at the time of contract. Like PimTac stated, Safety Clean had the contract for years. I can't remember top of my head who has it now. We had a barrel at work the other day, I'll see if it is still there.

While I was in the US NAVY our ships used Rotella 15w40. Came in olive green 55gal drums also as that’s what we onloaded

MIL-PRF-2104H

15W-40; Typically comes in tan 5 gallon pails, made by whoever.
For simplified logistics they use engine oil in the transmissions too. At Allison for the transmission testing we used 15W40 (not synthetic) mfg by Mobil. And the 0W20 Arctic spec oil was from BASF Emgard.

It's a matter of the public record who bids and supplies oil or practically any government contract. Just like it's no secret who builds the Virginia class submarines. None of this is secret squirrel stuff. The hot sauce contract is Texas Pete. 5.56 mm ammo is Lake City Armory. The reason specs are published is to solicit bidders.

The Mil-spec for the army differs from the sea and air services.The army has a maximum labeling word length of 4 characters. The other services don't require this limitation. I'm not worried about angering army personnel. Words too long.😀

We have a Humvee that we use for testing where I work (NAVWAR) We use Delo 15w40. We have a 55 gallon barrel of it. We use the same in the Military diesel generators.

The Mil-spec for the army differs from the sea and air services.The army has a maximum labeling word length of 4 characters. The other services don't require this limitation. I'm not worried about angering army personnel. Words too long.😀
Less words to read matter when you're doing important work.

We can't all sit around on boats, eat crayons, play golf, or take our shirts off and play graba... I mean back volleyball.

Back