US fuel economy up

Status
Not open for further replies.
US Light vehicles set fuel economy record in May

http://wardsauto.com/politics/us-light-v...da79d8c7cbcdf89

Quote:

The WardsAuto Fuel Economy Index indicates the average fuel economy of light vehicles sold in the U.S. in May rose to an all-time high of 25.5 mpg (9.2 L/100 km), up 0.9% over year-ago and 22.0% above the base index score set in fourth-quarter 2007.

There's been a lot of innovation lately for fuel savings, and a renewed focus on cutting weight as a part of that innovation. Lighter means more fun to drive, too!

What's next from the EPA. GPS monitoring? Automatic fines for speeding or exceeding you allotted mileage for the day or driving out of bounds? Or worse, what if you drove a prohibited vehicle?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What's next from the EPA. GPS monitoring? Automatic fines for speeding or exceeding you allotted mileage for the day or driving out of bounds? Or worse, what if you drove a prohibited vehicle?

Where do you come up with this stuff? Fuel economy is up, and somehow that means the government is going to try to control us?

It's great news, and it doesn't matter if Al Gore gets the credit or if it's so we send less greenbacks overseas to fund terrorism.

Originally Posted By: whip

Where do you come up with this stuff? Fuel economy is up, and somehow that means the government is going to try to control us?

The California State Senate already has GPS tracking on the docket. They want to use it to tax people and have stated it will improve the infrastructure in a way that's fair. People can pay taxes to one central office and it can be dispersed based on GPS locations in different counties. It's not here now, but if it's a tax, it's coming.

Looks like a not totally brain-dead policy change (CAFE standards getting raised) put the spurs to the car industry to innovate. And innovate profitably, if the stats about number of vehicles sold and their higher asking prices are to be believed.

It's on the way, that's for sure.

With that said ... my Jeep gets 14mpg, of the catalysts fell off ( won't be driving until that gets fixed ) and it haseems a cable throttle ...

There is legislation attempting to regulate how often people in California change their own oil in their cars. This law would require people to go at least 10,000 miles between oil changes. And you wonder where people come up ideas that the government will not do certain things??
Having stated that, I do believe that our government can be a referee so to speak between the citizenry and big corporations. This has proven to be bring about needed changes in those relationships. Which is good too.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
There is legislation attempting to regulate how often people in California change their own oil in their cars. This law would require people to go at least 10,000 miles between oil changes. And you wonder where people come up ideas that the government will not do certain things??
Having stated that, I do believe that our government can be a referee so to speak between the citizenry and big corporations. This has proven to be bring about needed changes in those relationships. Which is good too.

I don't think a law requiring 10k oci's could be enforced - if you pay cash for purchases and lose receipts nobody knows, and if you alternate between your driveway and a trusted garage it'll be even more difficult for them to trace.
Probably not wor worrying over tbh..

The average fuel economy going up is why some states have already upped the fuel tax and the Feds are considering doing the same. Many states are considering GPS mileage tracking to then have fuel tax based on a per mile thing instead of per gallon. Might be impractical for the general public, but very realistic for commercial vehicles that fall under IFTA fuel tax reporting standards. Probably what would end up happening is both tax at the fuel pump and tax on miles.

The GPS tracked miles and tax are only for hybrids and electric vehicles AI think.

Both my Hyundais get better than advertised fuel mileage. The Accent by over 10 mpg and the Gen Coupe about 5 mpg.

I actually more or less agree with you on this. This would be very difficult for the government to track and enforce. But hey, its also a bit hard for the government to track and go after recreational drug users too. There are laws against this too that are attempted to be enforced has well. Which has caught many people in the criminal justice system. Just because a law can be hard to enforce is in no way a guarantee that the government will not still pass any law.
Again, I am not against all government or laws. Not in the least. We just need good balance when it comes to our laws being passed. There can be many unintended consequences when laws and punitive punishments enacted. Prohibition would be a great example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back