US-FBI and Aust-AFP global sting on crime

SR5

For the last three years, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) have been working together to produce a global sting on organised crime. It all went down yesterday
- 18 countries
- over 500 search warrants
- 800 arrests (250 in Australia)
- 3.7 tonnes of drugs seized
- 104 weapons
- $45 million in cash
- more expected to follow

They developed an encrypted phone app called ANOM and sold it to organised crime as a secure line of communication. They used it, clearly and with detail, the police heard everything.

It was big here too - 35 arrests, $3.7 million in assets seized. The local Mob chapter is upset they have been involved - "trial by mainstream media set up by the NZ Police". The 501's have started up serious crime gangs like the Comancheros....Australian style crime.

Well, someone's getting promoted. Sounds like it was an exceptionally extensive, well thought out and executed plan.

Reactions: SR5
Wondering how you approach the criminals to market this APP?
Is there a dark web ad network? :)
I can imagine the "drug"ads a are a bit different than on Xfinity cable :)

Something brilliant like this, shouldn't be all over the media. I'd keep it quiet and just keep busting people. Now they know. In the future, they will be more careful about sites like those.

Something brilliant like this, shouldn't be all over the media. I'd keep it quiet and just keep busting people. Now they know. In the future, they will be more careful about sites like those.
LEO's want to show results for their work. It has always been a PR game.

They know before it is released to the media.

Does anyone actually think this will stop cocaine, heroin, fentanyl..... from reaching the streets?
There's a saying: there's always someone willing to risk their lives for profit, but nobody will do business for a loss.

No doubt they had to reveal it to obtain probable cause for the arrest warrants that followed. If they hadn’t, it would have come out given all the attorneys that will be retained to defend those arrested. Would have been difficult either way since it was the foundation for building their cases.

It’s worth listening to the AFP officer in the second news story above, he answers most of the questions asked in this thread.

Turns out they only had the legal authority to listen in for 3 years, so they had to act before that expired. But in that time they had worked out who the top people were and where they were living, so many of the arrests were the big players at the top. There would have been moral pressure to act too, as they knew of 21 hits that were being planned, and that is a lot of murders to ignore.

The police did a good job of keeping it secret, I hear the Prime Minister of Australia who made the press release, didn’t know anything about what was happening until the police told him that morning after all the raids had been executed.

Reactions: hpb
Back