US Automobile Market Share 1961-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, but that chart is garbage... I would be interested to know what percentage VW peaked at and when, but all it shows is when where they started and finished and what ranking they held in between, no actual numbers.

Graphs like this are misleading. For example. GM doesn't sell GM, but sells Chevy, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac. Same situation for Ford.

So my question would be if the following manufacturers include subsidiaries?
Lexus (Toyota)
Acura (Honda)
Infiniti (Nissan)
Porsche, Audi, etc (VW)

Poor graphics selection.

1) The chart is muddled in its nether regions.
2) Every car name should be on the left (Y) axis. Let any "latecomers'" time line begin at their appropriate place along the time line.

Yes, there'll be irregular gaps on the chart's left side if you do it this way.

Also, FCA (or Diamler-Chrysler) shouldn't head the line. It should say Chrysler with subsequent ownerships being "bulges" on the line at their appropriate time.

SUGGESTION: Strip the names and leave only the year heading....make it a tee shirt and title it "competition".

Last edited:
American Motors

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The "big 3" accounted for 85% of the market in 1961. 45% in 2016.

Who is in #4 spot in 1961? I don't recognize the logo.

Hard to read to say the least.

You probably need 2 charts, one for all market shares above 10%, the other for niche players below 10%.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The "big 3" accounted for 85% of the market in 1961. 45% in 2016.

Who is in #4 spot in 1961? I don't recognize the logo.

AMC (American Motors Corporation).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Graphs like this are misleading. For example. GM doesn't sell GM, but sells Chevy, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac. Same situation for Ford.

So my question would be if the following manufacturers include subsidiaries?
Lexus (Toyota)
Acura (Honda)
Infiniti (Nissan)
Porsche, Audi, etc (VW)

Since M-B / BMW / Mazda / Mitsubishi barely manages a blip on the chart (ending at somewhere between 3% and 0%) I doubt those other brands you've cited would be visible on such a chart. VW at no 10 and 3% mean they all would be ranked somewhere in the No. 11-20 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back