Urethane bushings

Have some urethane bushings on my aftermarket upper control arms on my Toyota tundra

Is a marine style grease ok to use or is it possibly contributing to deterioration of the busing?

I seem to be having busing failure again- bushing is lasting maybe 2 years and 25k miles or so with easy on road driving. Not really something I want to keep having to take apart and replace

What grease have you been using? what brand bushing? is the vehicle lifted?

Normal for poly bushings to degrade. The degradation rate depends on movement.

Use Krytox GPL215

But, grease is not the solution to poly cracking from different load angles.

Have some urethane bushings on my aftermarket upper control arms on my Toyota tundra

Is a marine style grease ok to use or is it possibly contributing to deterioration of the busing?

I seem to be having busing failure again- bushing is lasting maybe 2 years and 25k miles or so with easy on road driving. Not really something I want to keep having to take apart and replace
I use Schaeffer's 274 with 3% moly in my poly bushings since I have it around, but if you need to buy some for bushings I would get their 238 with 5% moly. The grease is waterproof and aluminum complex grease will take back the oil into the grease carrier where any form of waterproof lithium grease won't except the oils back into the grease carrier compound. That's who I understand it when I was told it in layman's terms. I have Whiteline bushings and they are pretty good at holding grease and don't sqeek for yearssss, even is Minnesota salt bath weather as my car is a daily.

Last edited:
What grease have you been using? what brand bushing? is the vehicle lifted?

Normal for poly bushings to degrade. The degradation rate depends on movement.

Use Krytox GPL215

But, grease is not the solution to poly cracking from different load angles.
truck has a 2.5 lift/leveling kit in front. I have been using the Penzoil marine grease on them.

the bushings are these https://www.toyteclifts.com/tc-69000-total-chaos-replacement-bushing-kit-for-tc-ucas.html

THe UCA's have zerk fittings and take more grease than some of these small tubes/packets provide. It looks like I just have one bad bushing right now.

I just want to make sure my grease isn't "eating" the urethane bushing causing premature failure

I did see some silicone grease that looks like it is compatible for urethane bushings. Around $50 a tube

Last edited:
Use the daystar lubrathane grease. It comes in 3oz mini grease gun size.

Make sure installation is correct and there are no sharp edges that can cut into the bushing. Break out a dremel or round file and take out the sharp edges, if any. Use a torque wrench for new bushing installation.

If the OE bushings fit, you could also find another brand of poly bushing if you don't want to go back to the OE rubber bushings.

What exactly is your failure, @jdw1222 ? Are they breaking into pieces or tearing?

Polyurethane is not affected by petroleum grease, but silicone grease is better. You can also use Permatex "dielectric tuneup grease" which is silicone grease. The stuff from Energy is much thicker and stickier, though.

I don't run poly bushings on too many applications but I do have poly swaybar bushings on my Mustang. The best grease I've found- HAND DOWN- is Jet-Lube 73550 Silicone DM Dielectric Grease NLGI #3. Bought it a number of years ago on Amazon for a very reasonable price in a 14oz tube and haven't been able to find it again. It was the only thing that offered any type of longevity through wet weather- and longevity it does have! When this tube eventually runs out I'm not sure what can replace it. ... actually looks like its still available on the 'zon for exorbanant prices. Probably should reach out to Jetlube directly for pricing and retailers.

Edit, if you are looking for the mfg website, do NOT hyphenate Jet Lube :devilish:

Last edited:
I don't run poly bushings on too many applications but I do have poly swaybar bushings on my Mustang. The best grease I've found- HAND DOWN- is Jet-Lube 73550 Silicone DM Dielectric Grease NLGI #3. Bought it a number of years ago on Amazon for a very reasonable price in a 14oz tube and haven't been able to find it again. It was the only thing that offered any type of longevity through wet weather- and longevity it does have! When this tube eventually runs out I'm not sure what can replace it. ... actually looks like its still available on the 'zon for exorbanant prices. Probably should reach out to Jetlube directly for pricing and retailers.

Edit, if you are looking for the mfg website, do NOT hyphenate Jet Lube :devilish:

The Jet-Lube product page says "Direct comparison to Dow Corning 111", so it's basically the same as Molykote 111 or 3M/Mission Silicone (Huskey 350).

I suspect that it's the grease that's causing the degradation of the bushings. By that I mean the grease is collecting dirt, which then acts as an abrasive to the bushings. I've used this type of bushing before, but it was because I had an oil leak on the bushing which would ruin a regular bushing. In the OP's case you have no choice other then use some sort of grease an d deal with it.

Back