UPS shipping time from LA to SF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything above/below Bakersfield is one day, but if you cross that magical line it's 2 days for Ground.....BUT BUT BUT they say that Ground may take up to 5 days no matter how close (I've had Ground take 3 days for a 30-mile journey), so be warned.

OTOH, USPS Priority is 2-Day no matter where it's going in the US, and they deliver on Saturdays. It's likely cheaper too.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Reno to SF is usually only one day, two tops. Any idea about LA to SF?

It depends who's sending it. A private party of small business, could be two days. A big business that does a lot of shipping one day is common if they have their act together.

When I lived in San Jose I could order from McMaster Carr in SoCal mid afternoon and usually have my parts the next morning via UPS ground.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Anything above/below Bakersfield is one day, but if you cross that magical line it's 2 days for Ground.....BUT BUT BUT they say that Ground may take up to 5 days no matter how close (I've had Ground take 3 days for a 30-mile journey), so be warned.

OTOH, USPS Priority is 2-Day no matter where it's going in the US, and they deliver on Saturdays. It's likely cheaper too.

I've been getting less than 24 hour service on priority between San Jose and my town 30 miles NE of Sacramento as long as it's to the SJ post office by mid afternoon. Also if you get a USPS account and print your own Priority labels you get free "Track and Confirm". In reality, it just amounts to delivery confirmation, but it's still useful.

At our post office, if you have a pre-paid packages, they will let you just go set them on the counter instead of standing in line. Dunno if the bigger Post Offices will let you do that.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Reno to SF is usually only one day, two tops. Any idea about LA to SF?

It depends who's sending it. A private party of small business, could be two days. A big business that does a lot of shipping one day is common if they have their act together.

It's the largest type of business of its kind on the west coast and all the way to the Rockies. I special-ordered something that's not listed on their Web site via phone, and they did not give me a UPS tracking number. I don't want to call them again and bother them, because it doesn't really matter to me if it arrives in one, two, or five days. I was just curious.

4 weeks. Seriously.

A place were I worked needed to deliver a package from Hayward California to Redwood city California. It HAD to be there the next day. It is about 20 miles away, but traffic is heavy so they decided to ship it UPS. they didn't want to send it next day air since it was only 20 miles away. I told them it would never get there the next day. Murphys Law. The next day they called and asked where the package was. I checked UPS tracking and found it in Chicago. for the next 4 weeks I watched the package go bouncing around the entire US, from one state to the next in no particular order. it went for California to Chicago to Florida to Arizona to Montana to New Hampshire, etc etc. the last day before it was delivered it was in Los Angeles. SO I guess it will only take 1 day to get to SF.

Loobed, that's nothing. A few years ago I had something shipped from the UK (of Great Britain, not from the Ukraine) to here, and that parcel went on a six week trip, which included stops in Brazil and Canada. At one point the package couldn't be tracked for two weeks. It was a British private mail carrier, and I can't recall their name right now.

side note:
I've had stuff shipped UPS "overnight" in a 1-day area and it shows up in two days. apparently overnight is a completely different routing and can sometimes get a little lost along the way.

I've bought stuff from Newegg and their warehouse is somewhere in Southern California. They used UPS Ground shipping and it took 2 days of actual transit time to get here in SF. Of course it took like a day for them to process the order, pack it and ship it out. I think it also depends what time of day the package is sent out.

I find that UPS has 2 facilities in the bay area (SSF and somewhere in the east bay) that the packages arrives which serves as a hub. According to the tracking the packages then go to the local UPS facility and will go out for delivery the same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back