UPS & Mobil Jet Oil II

Status
Not open for further replies.
article_240x240_jetoil.jpg

I've been working at UPS for the last several weeks. Seasonal part time help. I see a lot of Mobil Jet Oil II.

Of course, I was the only one there interested in it. LOL! Freak!

I'm amazed how powerful Jet Engines are. The MD-11 that UPS has, can hold up to 250,000 lbs. The fact that it can still take off and fly with that amount of weight is incredible.

That's heavy, Don't get me wrong but look into the C-5 the Air Force has. I think the maximum take off weight is around 850,000lbs. I seen and walked through one at an air show. The intakes are HUGE.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Hopefully that stuff passed the API sequence IGA wear test. My Amazon.com ordered Christmas gifts depend on it.

lol.gif

That Mobil Jet II is only 5 cSt @ 100C, which would make it a 0W-10 if there was such a grade. And it can handle sump temperatures of 400+F while being pumpable at -65F.

Tom NJ

The C-5 is a remarkable aircraft, particularly when you consider that it is a 45 year old design.
It requires a great deal more maintenance than would be practical in commercial operations, and has required some structural mods. It was not designed or built to have the fatigue life of a commercial transport.
OTOH, a C-5 can land on unimproved runways and sits low enough on its gear that it can be unloaded using its front and rear ramps with no ground equipment, something no large commercial aircraft can do, although both the B727-100 and B737-200 could be equiped to operate from gravel runways.
In terms of weight, The B747-400, a development of a design of a vintage similar to the C-5, can operate at up to 910,000 pounds, although only from paved runways, of course.
The MD-11 can weigh up to 630,000 pounds for take off.

The C-17s, although not as big as the C-5, are also incredible aircraft. Their short field take off and landing/unimproved runway capability is absolutely mind boggling for such a huge aircraft.

The Coast Guard uses Mobil Jet 254 as primary and Mobil Jet II as backup. The 254 is a bit thicker (5.3 vs 5.1), has better deposit control, and can withstand higher sump temps (450F vs 400F). It has an effective operating range of -40F to 450F and a pour point of -80F.

I've always wanted to put some in my Mazda! Great fuel economy...

Mobil Jet 254 is considered a "3rd Generation" aviation turbine oil (ATO) as it has an advanced anti-oxidant system that reduces deposits in hot engines. Mobil Jet II is an older "2nd Generation" oil and the largest selling ATO in the world.

The cleanest fully approved oil available today is BP ETO 2197 which is a 4th Generation product containing both an advanced patented AO package and an advanced patented POE base oil. Mobil had a 4th Generation oil (MJ 291) but it was withdrawn from the market due to problems in the field. Their latest candidate is MJ 387 which is going through approvals. Shell has also launched a 4th Generation oil called "Ascender" which is going through approvals as well.

I wouldn't put any of these in my car as they have no EP or detergent additives and are pretty agressive on seal swell, although small quantities probably wouldn't do any harm.

Tom NJ

Sounds interesting.

Yeah I know not to put any in a car, or any internal combustion engine for that matter. Turbine oil is a completely different animal. My earlier comment was meant as a joke.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Mobil Jet 254 is considered a "3rd Generation" aviation turbine oil (ATO) as it has an advanced anti-oxidant system that reduces deposits in hot engines. Mobil Jet II is an older "2nd Generation" oil and the largest selling ATO in the world.

The cleanest fully approved oil available today is BP ETO 2197 which is a 4th Generation product containing both an advanced patented AO package and an advanced patented POE base oil. Mobil had a 4th Generation oil (MJ 291) but it was withdrawn from the market due to problems in the field. Their latest candidate is MJ 387 which is going through approvals. Shell has also launched a 4th Generation oil called "Ascender" which is going through approvals as well.

I wouldn't put any of these in my car as they have no EP or detergent additives and are pretty agressive on seal swell, although small quantities probably wouldn't do any harm.

Tom NJ

Interesting! Can you say, do you know, if Hatco Corp. had a roll in any of these Mobil, Shell, BP aviation lubes?

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
Interesting! Can you say, do you know, if Hatco Corp. had a roll in any of these Mobil, Shell, BP aviation lubes?

Well I certainly know, having managed Hatco's aviation business for over 20 years.
grin2.gif
What I can (or will) say is a different matter.

What's public is that Hatco was the largest manufacturer of polyol esters for jet engine oils in the world, and of the three commercial ATO marketers only Mobil makes their own POEs. It is also public that I am one of the inventors on a patented advanced POE base oil. Beyond that I would not want to reveal any specific formulation or supplier relationship details.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: stranger706
The Coast Guard uses Mobil Jet 254 as primary and Mobil Jet II as backup.

Hi Stranger - just curious, why doesn't the Coast Guard source MIL-PRF-23699 oil from the military's distributor like most of our armed forces, instead of a commercial aviation oil from Mobil? Historically the commercial oils were much more expensive, but that may have changed since I retired. Are your engines especially prone to coking problems?

Tom NJ

Hi Tom,
The Rolls Royce AE2100 on the C-130J requires (or did 5 years ago) Jet Oil II whereas the Allison T-56 (all other C-130 models) used 23699. Never had a explanation why.

If you guys are into BIG jet engines look up the GE90 used on the 777, its nacelle is larger than most aircrafts' fuselages! They can output up to 120,000 lbs of thrust. a C-5's engine (GE TF-39) puts out about 40,000 lbs thrust. The 747's GE engine is a derivative of the TF-39 called the CF6 and puts out 40,000-72,000 lbs of thrust depending on the model. The CF6 is used on many airliners besides the 747.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
The Rolls Royce AE2100 on the C-130J requires (or did 5 years ago) Jet Oil II whereas the Allison T-56 (all other C-130 models) used 23699. Never had a explanation why.

Hi Tom,

Yes I have encountered situations like that before where a specific branded oil is called for in a specific military engine. Sometimes this is due to the engine being owned by the manufacturer, who is selling power-by-the-hour to the military. In these cases, only an OEM approved oil may be used, which are all branded commercial oils and excludes 23699 only oils.

While 23699 only oils may be just as good as branded oils, they are not approved by OEMs due to the prohibitive cost of the approvals. For example, the leading military 23699 oil is the C/I type made by Hatco. This oil has an additive system equivalent to MJ II and uses a more stable base oil and offers better rust protection, but it carries no OEM approvals.

Tom NJ

Quote:
Sometimes this is due to the engine being owned by the manufacturer, who is selling power-by-the-hour to the military.

That rings a bell. I believe the AE2100 is leased to the USAF.

I have a Hatco 23699 can as a pencil holder on my workbench and a Jet Oil II can as the pencil holder on my desk. Love those cans.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I have a Hatco 23699 can as a pencil holder on my workbench

Wow! What is the date and Qual number on the can? I wonder if it is one I formulated.

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back