UPS "Follow my delivery" app, for tracking your package on delivery day.

Discovered that the UPS "Follow my delivery" app, that shows the movement of your package as it works its way towards you on delivery day, is also handy to be able to track down the UPS truck that still has your package on it... when the driver has already left your town and is already delivering packages in the next town over.

The driver was initially a bit confused as to how I was able to track him down. No idea why he didn't deliver it, but he was able to find it on the truck when I gave him my name and address.

I wasn't in the mood to wait for it to be delivered on Monday. It was motorcycle tires that I was wanting to get mounted up *this weekend*.

Their tracking is not accurate, I've watched it before and package came before it updated truck near me. Granted it was only off a half hour or so.

Another time, I got an email that the package was delivered and it hadn't been yet, was out looking around for it when the truck pulled up.

UPS does deliver on Saturday, shouldn't have had to wait till Monday.

UPS drivers hate this. What you did is exactly what concerns our driver at work.
Not all of them. I live a few miles away from from town. If I can track down my package and have him give it to me, I'll save him 30 minutes of driving time during the day.

UPS drivers hate this. What you did is exactly what concerns our driver at work.
I'm sorry. But why didn't he deliver to my house... before skipping town? I know what his route looks like, he doesnt come back to this area once he leaves.

Their tracking is not accurate, I've watched it before and package came before it updated truck near me. Granted it was only off a half hour or so.

Another time, I got an email that the package was delivered and it hadn't been yet, was out looking around for it when the truck pulled up.

UPS does deliver on Saturday, shouldn't have had to wait till Monday.
Once he's delivering in the next town over... 6 miles away... I've lost my chance at an on-time delivery. Then, he goes to the next town over (and actuallly does the deliveries to my parents' place), and then heads back to the terminal at the end of the day.

Of course, the UPS app was accurate enough that I drove right up the truck that my tires were on. :)

And no, it would have been Monday. Here, Big Brown only delivers air shipments with extra cost Saturday delivery, on Saturday.

Last edited:
Seems you had the opportunity to grill him, errrr, ask him... 🤷‍♂️

What's the point? The guy is union, and he screwed up. Nothing is going to happen to him, regardless. I'm not going to tick him off over one package, when he might be delivering to my house for several more years? I did him a favor, by bailing him out... and I got my tires. Win-win.

Last edited:
It baffles me how they can split up a "box 1 of 2" and "box 2 of 2" shipment. These wheels were shipped to me by the same guy, at the same moment. Takeaway lesson: Never plan around a UPS delivery.

UPS Strikes again.jpg

While the current situation is annoying and sometimes critical on important packages, it does no good for one's mental health to have anxiety about everything that is happening. I cut the UPS drivers some slack. I am usually the first delivery on my route (set up for only right turns!) and my driver's truck is usually packed to the gills. They are not allowed to have accidents, ever. If someone runs a stop sign and hits them, it's still the UPS driver's fault in the eyes of the company. As the saying goes, "they're just the messenger", not the cause of most delays/mistakes. I treat my driver with the Golden Rule.

It baffles me how they can split up a "box 1 of 2" and "box 2 of 2" shipment.
You realize that they're only "connected" on paper or in a computer system ? Once they went on the truck that picked them up, they are separated.

You realize that they're only "connected" on paper or in a computer system ? Once they went on the truck that picked them up, they are separated.
I realize that, but what makes no sense is that they both came off the same truck at the first stop, and one seems to have gotten lost in their system to the point that it's delayed a day. Did someone scan one of two at the depot, and at that moment, his shift ended?

It happens and I realize when it's one of "our" packages, we think it must be a huge flaw in their system. They process over 20 million packages each day though. Does the detailed tracking indicate it might have gotten misrouted causing the 1-day delay ?

No person scans packages anymore either except the last scan at the delivery. All of the others are done by machine.

It happens and I realize when it's one of "our" packages, we think it must be a huge flaw in their system. They process over 20 million packages each day though. Does the detailed tracking indicate it might have gotten misrouted causing the 1-day delay ?

No person scans packages anymore either except the last scan at the delivery. All of the others are done by machine.
The box is now listed as an "exception" due to a late-arriving trailer, and is sitting in the Ft. Worth location all weekend. Odd that the other box made it okay. It's FedEx from here on out.

USPS and FedEx have been reliable and I've had no screw ups like this from them in the past months. I don't know what their problem is but they need to get it together. Many shipments over the last year with them have had this exact same problem. You can't blame Covid forever, especially when your competitors aren't suffering from it.

Go UPS! It arrived in Fort Worth on 5/7 and that's the last they've seen of it. If I did my job this poorly, I wouldn't have one.

So, the OP tracked the location of the UPS truck, and just walked up to the dude to ask him to give the package over?

Strange to me, why not just wait for him to drop it on your doorstep.

Back