Uprates, uprates, UPRATES! - Bruce Power

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, the world's largest Nuclear Power Plant once again just got a bit bigger.

Bruce Power announced an uprate to 6,550MWe on October 14th. Unit 1 had recently been bumped to 816MWe, so with other "tweaks", as expected, output has been progressively increasing.

What was surprising however, was that Mike Rencheck, who is the CEO, announced that the 7,000MWe target would be met by 2030, moving it closer by 3 years (was originally 2033), and he said 7,000MWe and BEYOND. So they've upped the ante on site capacity now. Clearly, they are feeling confident.

For those who may not have seen my previous threads, Bruce Nuclear is the world's largest operating nuclear power plant. There's a larger plant in Japan, but it isn't operating. Bruce houses 8x CANDU units, all with 480 fuel channels, 13 bundles per channel, which have the highest thermal rating of any nuke in our fleet at 2,832MWth.

Bruce has been running on a 5% derate since the late 90's when there was some concern raised about a fuel channel failure taxing the safety systems of their single loop cooling design. There have been a few mitigation mechanisms employed, which allowed them to get to the 5% derate figure (it was significantly higher before that) but they have been working on a special fuel bundle design with their supplier, Cameco, in hopes to eliminate the derates entirely. That, and there may be some cooling system design changes being made as part of their massive MCR refurbishment project, currently underway.

Darlington, which is our newest plant, has 4x878MWe units, but has lower thermal capacity than Bruce (12 bundles per channel, 480 channels). Bruce, at 100%FP would be able to do at minimum 880MWe, perhaps 890. Darlington has a two-loop cooling system design, so each pair of boilers is separate, which is not the case at Bruce. However, since all of the boilers are currently being replaced as part of the MCR, there is opportunity to potentially revise that, though I'm unsure if that is actually taking place.

I figure we'll be 860-870 on the A units once the MCR is done and 880-890 on the B units, so that's a range of 6,960 to 7,040MWe.

Bruce Nuclear produces more than 30% of Ontario's electricity, a figure which will progressively increase as these uprates are performed and site output increases. Once the refurbishments and uprates are completed, the site will be able to produce north of 55TWh per year.

iu

I have been enjoying the postings .
Me too! I'm a huge fan of nuclear power done safely.

Furthermore, I truly believe that we must learn to love and embrace nuclear power. It's pretty obvious that wind, solar and hydro can't provide our energy needs, and reliance on such is not a viable option. The level of misunderstanding is epic. For example, starting in 2011, NJ put a solar panel and grid tie inverter on nearly every telephone pole, $500 million stimulus-bucks to start. The net result was no improvement in fuel consumption, which is no surprise when one realizes what's required to make up for the loss of power when the sun stops shining. Vermont is no different. Gobs of wind turbines and solar, no reduction in emissions.

Surprisingly, the panels are disappearing (er, ah, being removed by the utility)... never to be seen again.

NDlhZDY

Thank you for the updates. I lost touch of the progress of the refurbs since my father-in-law retired. He's an electrical engineer and was doing contract work helping out with the refurb of Bruce. He also worked on the refurb of Point Lepreau, New Brunswick .

Thank you for the updates. I lost touch of the progress of the refurbs since my father-in-law retired. He's an electrical engineer and was doing contract work helping out with the refurb of Bruce. He also worked on the refurb of Point Lepreau, New Brunswick .
You are quite welcome!

I have a friend that worked on the Pickering, Bruce (1 and 2) and Darlington refurbs as a nuclear consultant (fuel channel expert). They might have met! Bruce Power has been quite good with their PR and the director of C4NE interviewed James a while back, which was a great experience. We've had some great engagement with them in general, which unfortunately isn't the case with OPG since we are advocating for the refurbishment of Pickering B and they don't want to revisit that, so that's created a bit of tension there.

The only problem as I see it, with consolidating power to a relatively small number of power plants, would be a handful of terrorists with suitcase nukes and we're back to the dark ages!

Back