Upgrading to larger filter-any downside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using the M1 102 but saw something in print about going to the M1 209 as it has larger capacity and same price. The bi-pass psi is within limits so is there any downside to going to a larger capacity filter?

While it may or may not do much good, as long as it doesn't stick out where it could get damaged, why not? Later in my ownership, I ran a PF 52 in place of a PF 47 on my Grand AM. It was safely up beside a motor mount.

In the unlikely event that the oil filter fails and causes engine damage, the oil filter maker is liable for the cost of the repairs...if...if you use the filter they specify for that engine in their catalog.

Why use a larger filter? Have you ever had one of the specified filters filled with debris?...I haven't. More oil in the system?...Isn't the current amount adequate? Easier flow with cold oil?...probably insignificant.

I've read where larger filters are more prone to pressure fluctuations ,hence the auto makers have gone to tiny oil filters,but this is mostly racing applications where extreme RPM is involved.

There was some link to a youtube thingie someone put up. The racing Asian engine guy had to put hose clamps around the filter to stop it from bulging/stretching/bellowing.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
There was some link to a youtube thingie someone put up. The racing Asian engine guy had to put hose clamps around the filter to stop it from bulging/stretching/bellowing.

WOW!!
shocked2.gif
That doesnt sound good!

Last edited:
Well, there's a reason why tsunamis knock down buildings instead of just flowing around them
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: AgingChuck
so is there any downside to going to a larger capacity filter?

Nope....none, none that i have ever experienced you get;

more oil capacity(means more/longer lasting additives longer depletion time)

more filter media(holds more dirt for longer OCI's,better less restrictive flow)

helps cool the oil better(bigger can acts like a heat exchanger)

i run over sized in all my engines(PF52 vs PF47)

Originally Posted By: daman

more filter media(holds more dirt for longer OCI's,better less restrictive flow)

Thats because youdaman!!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: daman

Thats because youdaman!!
grin2.gif

LOL.gif
, dunno but it works 4 me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back