Upgraded to a new case (and cable management :O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did what I've been meaning to for a while, and moved my main box over to an Antec P280 instead of the Define R3 I've had. The R3 was too small, and wasn't really designed for proper cable management (gap between mobo tray and side panel was too small). I also picked up a new Zalman CNPS9900MAX in the process (PITA to install, just FYI)

Anyway here are the pics.
(LINK TO ALBUM WITH FULLSIZE PICS http://imgur.com/a/7pRXS)
RbL0sCT.jpg

Zx38cnG.jpg

d33puj5.jpg

NwVDUx4.jpg

EwvBq0E.jpg

cDFbMAH.jpg

zzWYi6A.jpg

2qYujvI.jpg

43Kc928.jpg

It always brings a tear to my eye when people do cable management lol. I mean I know you wont see inside the case unless you have a window, but take pride, plus cable management helps with airflow.

Very good Job, You ever thought about an all in one water cooling?

Also what MSI Windforce version is that?

Nice job, Nick. I'm curious...how many of your fans are load-based (PWM), and how much wattage does that beast pull (total) at idle and at full load?

Impressive-looking kit you have there!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Nice job, Nick. I'm curious...how many of your fans are load-based (PWM), and how much wattage does that beast pull (total) at idle and at full load?

Impressive-looking kit you have there!

The CPU and rear fan are PWM, the front two are set to low speed via their speed switches, but the front two speed up under load as well due to motherboard voltage control on their ports. They vary from about 800RPM to 1050RPM under load. The top 2 are about 500RPM all the time.

Idle pulls about 75W iirc, and load probably in the 350W range or somewhere around there.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
It always brings a tear to my eye when people do cable management lol. I mean I know you wont see inside the case unless you have a window, but take pride, plus cable management helps with airflow.

Very good Job, You ever thought about an all in one water cooling?

Also what MSI Windforce version is that?

I used a Corsair H50 a few years ago, but decided that a high end air cooler is just as good as watercooling for my use, cheaper, and less of a pain in time. It's also a Gigabyte Windforce GTX760.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I used a Corsair H50 a few years ago, but decided that a high end air cooler is just as good as watercooling for my use, cheaper, and less of a pain in time. It's also a Gigabyte Windforce GTX760.

Yeah I meant Gigabyte, I don't know why I said MSI. The systems have come a long way since the H50 was released. And some high end coolers are just as good. I just like the low profile, less weight on the motherboard with the liquid ones, never thought I would ever want one but I love them.

Very nice.

One thing I wish I spent more time when I built my computer on is cable management, mainly for a cooling concern, but i have enough fans moving air and have never seen crazy CPU temps.

I usually just throw the parts in and as long as nothing is getting into moving parts, its golden in my book.
The last machine I built, I did proper cable management and it looked really good.
I might see what I can do when I replace my aging i7-980X system. That target is 3Q15.

Last edited:
I had an antec 900 in my first "training wheels" build with AMD back about 6 years ago. I then built a legitimate intel system after that. I went with an obsidian 800d case by corsair. Gave me soo much space to work with. If you have a decent case with good cable routing options its almost like no cables exist at all. Check mine out.

And Nick..do we have the same mobo? P8Z68 Deluxe gen 3 here... Im running an i72600k overclocked to 4.5. Can go as high as 4.8 reliably but for the sake of chip preservation (been running two years plus now at these speeds) I down clocked to 4.5

Please excuse the dust

Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon
I had an antec 900 in my first "training wheels" build with AMD back about 6 years ago. I then built a legitimate intel system after that. I went with an obsidian 800d case by corsair. Gave me soo much space to work with. If you have a decent case with good cable routing options its almost like no cables exist at all. Check mine out.

And Nick..do we have the same mobo? P8Z68 Deluxe gen 3 here... Im running an i72600k overclocked to 4.5. Can go as high as 4.8 reliably but for the sake of chip preservation (been running two years plus now at these speeds) I down clocked to 4.5

Please excuse the dust

Yup, same mobo. P8Z68-V Pro/gen3.
I have an i5-2500k I've been running at 4.3ghz for 3 years this month.

Great case, I think you'll really like it.

My first build in early 2009 was in an Antec P183. Then in December, 2012 I decided to upgrade and, among other things, I went with the Antec P280.

Yeah, it's BIG, but that means lots of room to do what I need to, easy to clean and upgrade. It's also very quiet!

I just picked up an Intel 480GB 730 series SSD on one of Newegg's Black Friday deals.

It was just open the case, disconnect the OS HDD, slide out the tray, remove the HDD, screw the SSD to the 2.5 inch indent in the tray, slide it back in and connect it.

Nice looking build, Enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back