Upgr8 Air Filter

Has anyone used it long term? It was time to replace my air filter in the xB and paper filter from Autozone is nearly $20. So I looked on Amazon and bought the UPGR8 air filter for $15. By the looks of it - it is an AEM dryflow clone. Quality seems to be top notch as far as fit and finish. After I put it in - no difference is noted, other than slightly quicker rev ups. It was not oiled and in a few thousand of miles I plan to clean it, but not sure what is the best way. It is a dry air filter. Just soap and water? Or what is the best way to clean it? And if anyone used it - how is it holding up long term?

I have an Upgr8 filter in my car as well. Will be getting a UOA done in a few months. Only difference I've felt over paper is the quicker revs as you mentioned. Quality is good and it fits very well. Metal mesh on both sides and probably acrylic media. It says to wash with soap and water every 15,000 miles. If you have a filter gauge maybe longer, but since I don't that's what I'll do. Best thing I liked about it is that it's a drop in filter, so no oil to mess up the MAF sensor.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
I have an Upgr8 filter in my car as well. Will be getting a UOA done in a few months. Only difference I've felt over paper is the quicker revs as you mentioned. Quality is good and it fits very well. Metal mesh on both sides and probably acrylic media. It says to wash with soap and water every 15,000 miles. If you have a filter gauge maybe longer, but since I don't that's what I'll do. Best thing I liked about it is that it's a drop in filter, so no oil to mess up the MAF sensor.
That's what I liked about it too - lack of oil. I had a costly MAF sensor replacememt due to K&N filter in the past, so learned my lesson there. I guess that cleaning procedure is what I will due. How long have you had this filter on your 2AZ-FE engine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you find any info on how it flows better and filters better than a paper filter? I had a hard time finding any info on who makes it or what its made of or where its made.
Amazon and Ebay is where I find it for sale. I stay away from knock-offs, you have no idea of how much or any r/r went into that product.
With a main stream manufacture they(most of the time) put in the long time and money for r/r to make sure you get what you pay for.
With a knock-off you get one that "looks" like the real thing.

ROD

I have not measured anything, just going by the butt dyno at this point. I have emailed the Upgr8 warranty department to see if they can provide any R&D info about this product, or any documents at all showing it's performance.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
I have not measured anything, just going by the butt dyno at this point. I have emailed the Upgr8 warranty department to see if they can provide any R&D info about this product, or any documents at all showing it's performance.

Just put one of these on and do your own R/D for pressure drop.
https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-24801-Filter-Service/dp/B0014BI1KA
It also tells you when to change/clean the air filter.

ROD

UPDATE:
It has been over a year and a half with this air filter. Overall I am very satisfied with its performance. UOAs show same or better level of air filtration, as far as silicon and wear numbers go. I did clean it a couple times by washing and drying it. No negative effects on UOA after the cleaning and the filter itself still looks and feels like a brand new one. No filter media detoriation/deformation either. Would, and eventually will, definitely buy for all of my cars.

December 2019 I installed UPGR8 filter on my 2007 Subaru Forester XS which had 180k miles on it. Since then I have washed it out 2 times. The first time, I sprayed a light coat of oil on the outside before reinstalling. I've had no problems with MAP sensor issues. The second time I used Castile soap which left a lot of dirt and light oil in the water. I didn't spray anything on before reinstalling. I see and feel no dirt in the up end enclosure so I feel somewhat safe in feeling it's doing the job I purchased it to do. It seals as expected. On the Forester, on the lower end of the air cleaner container are 2 tabs that must be locked into the upper portion and 2 clips at the top end that hold container firmly in place. Should the clips not easily fasten, the lower taps are probably not positioned correctly causing the clips to fasten too hard. Subaru Forester is completely stock.

Is it better or worse than a replaceable filter? For me I have no problems opening the filter box to check on it's condition and cleaning when the spirit moves me to do so. Performance wise, In 30k miles I've owned the car I've averaged 24.5 mpg which inclused towing a trailer some 3k miles which dropped mpg to closer to 19.

Over all I'm more than satisfied with the UPGR8 air filter.

I normally stick with oe paper style filters but if it’s a dry filter I’m sure it’s fine as long as the rubber seals good.

Back