updating ECU for newest Dexos spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had originally asked this on a GM board that focuses on the Buick Century, and got a bit of a non answer, so I wanted to ask here just in case.

I was wondering if anyone knew of, or knew where to start to find, an ECU update that will allow my OLM to give me more accurate service intervals using the most recent Dexos oils?

I drive fewer than 10k miles a year, so I could just do annual changes with my Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE but I actually like the 'oil change" alert so I don't have to try and keep notes on that.

Thank you as always!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that your 2003 Buick was never spec'd for DEXOS, so it's highly unlikely that GM will offer an ECU update.

Dexos spec oils came out for MY 2011.

They are likely better than the oil that your 2003 was validated on and spec'd for, but I'd just continue to use the OLM as is.

I feel your pain. All OLMs where a conventional Group II oil (or a blend like dexos1) is spec'ed as the minimum quality should have a "full synthetic" setting, or maybe one based on full-syn and starting TBN. Too complicated for a non-bitog world though. Dumbing it down works better.
Exception: Euro cars already spec high performing oils, i.e. MB 229.5, A40, etc.

Actually, based on the state of oils in 2003, you could go 2 OLM's on Mobil 1 Extend Perform or Annual Protection versions, with a Fram Ultra oil filter. I'm confident.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I feel your pain. All OLMs where a conventional Group II oil (or a blend like dexos1) is spec'ed as the minimum quality should have a "full synthetic" setting, or maybe one based on full-syn and starting TBN. Too complicated for a non-bitog world though. Dumbing it down works better.
Exception: Euro cars already spec high performing oils, i.e. MB 229.5, A40, etc.

Can't he use Mobil extended one and change it once a year?.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Can't he use Mobil extended one and change it once a year?.
Yeah, thought of that the same time you did. See my Edit above.

There are no GM calibration updates for your vehicle. None coming either.

There is no need to do this.

Besides, you drive it so little that it would still come on at the same time (GM has always said not to go longer than a year)

Indeed it does predate DEXOS, and the Owners Manual doesn't even have a specs to meet beyond an API 5w-30. I'd imagine that any modern 5w-30 Dino/semi-syn would do it more than enough justice.

I figured that a reprogramming would be available through GM, but as they say if you don't ask you won't get.

Slacktide, I hadn't thought of that! With most of my trips under 10 miles, I expect that the current OLM will go off prior to a full 10k miles. With the Euro PUP thats in there, I don't want it to go that long on this change anyway.

As far as I know, manufacturers don't release ecu updates as a normal matter of course like software companies do. Only if there's a real issue will they have an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back