Updated PDS for M1 5W30, M1 AFE 0W30

I noticed that these two oils are missing PDS on Mobil 1's main site, but managed to find them by editing the URL field. Of note, M1 5W30 (new Triple Action regular full synthetic with dexos1:GEN3 Licensed) viscosity changed to 10.75. Pour point is at -42C. The AFE 0W30 (also Triple Action and dexos1:GEN3) also dropped in viscosity, to 10.3, but the pour point seems to have gone up to -54C.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but does “Triple Action” imply a combination of Group III, PAO and GTL? If so, not much new there.

And I realize marketing is involved, but offering protection up to 10,000 miles isn’t much given lots of oil life monitors (e.g. Honda) seem perfectly happy to go longer.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but does “Triple Action” imply a combination of Group III, PAO and GTL? If so, not much new there.

And I realize marketing is involved, but offering protection up to 10,000 miles isn’t much given lots of oil life monitors (e.g. Honda) seem perfectly happy to go longer.
Its their marketing claiming the oil maximizes performance, protection, and cleanliness

According to the SDS, it is not 10.75, Vis @ 100 C.

Screenshot_20230115_235653_Drive.jpg

I noticed that these two oils are missing PDS on Mobil 1's main site, but managed to find them by editing the URL field. Of note, M1 5W30 (new Triple Action regular full synthetic with dexos1:GEN3 Licensed) viscosity changed to 10.75. Pour point is at -42C. The AFE 0W30 (also Triple Action and dexos1:GEN3) also dropped in viscosity, to 10.3, but the pour point seems to have gone up to -54C.

I know that pour point is an outdated measurement of cold performance, but couldn't help noticing that a few years ago AFE 0W30 pour point was shown on Mobil1's website as -50 deg C. Then it was shown as -42 deg C for a few years, and now it's -54 deg C. The formulation changes must have affected the pour point quite a bit, or the -42 deg C value was stated incorrectly.

Last edited:
According to the SDS, it is not 10.75, Vis @ 100 C.

View attachment 135799
Interesting. PP significantly lower too. Makes you wonder what to believe.

I know that pour point is an outdated measurement of cold performance, but couldn't help noticing that a few years ago AFE 0W30 pour point was shown on Mobil1's website as -50 deg C. Then it was shown as -42 deg C for a few years, and now it's -54 deg C. The formulation changes must have affected the pour point quite a bit, or the -42 deg C value was stated incorrectly.
I noticed that too. With the lower pour point (yes, I know...) the new AFE 0W30 looks much more attractive especially when you consider the updated Phosphorus and Zinc levels M1 posted on a different document.

I wonder if the AFE 0W30 SDS is significantly different as well.

Last edited:
Interesting. PP significantly lower too. Makes you wonder what to believe.

I noticed that too. With the lower pour point (yes, I know...) the new AFE 0W30 looks much more attractive especially when you consider the updated Phosphorus and Zinc levels M1 posted on a different document.

I wonder if the AFE 0W30 SDS is significantly different as well.
Do you recall, Mobil 1 had errors on their PDS prior?

Can their be errors on the SDS?

I would think it be more accurate on the SDS.

Unless formulation had changed again and they have not updated the SDS.

Do you recall, Mobil 1 had errors on their PDS prior?

Can their be errors on the SDS?

I would think it be more accurate on the SDS.

Unless formulation had changed again and they have not updated the SDS.
I would typically expect the SDS to be less accurate, there is little importance to this information with regards to product hazards.

Read the owners manual they give the information on which oil is needed. [rating]

Back